Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: HACman ?

Default HACman ?

I just installed a Hacman on an avid with a 582 blue head. It looks like I have it put together correctly (instructions suck) I installed the 180 main that came with it as opposed to the 165 that was in there. My needle was on the bottom clip already. I saw absolutely no change in my temps at all. WOT egt was 950-1000 at 6400rpm cruise was about 1080-1090 at 5400-5800 rpm. at about 5200-5300 temps went to 1125 or so but all other times was at 1020-1090. Engine ran fine and there was never any fuel dumping as it would have if the carb vents did not have the holes in the tubing without the hacman (yes I did that before) so the carbs seemed to be operating correctly. My field is at 850msl and I flew up to about 3000 msl. I know that is not high altitude however I thought I would be able to get away from seasonal jetting changes with this. Am I missing something? Do you still have to do the seasonal jetting changes and ONLY use it at high altitude or do I need to look into a malfunction of some sort? I assumed you could lean in all altitudes.
    Mark

Default Re: HACman ?

I think you're missing something. On mine, the biggest difference is in the mid range. If I'm flying straight and level at 5500-5800 RPM, I can dial in almost any EGT I want. It doesn't have as much effect for me at full throttle, but I do need to lean a bit to get maximum RPM.

Is your orifice installed in the fitting at the air filter?

Prop pitch and load on the engine also figure into the two stroke equation.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Yes it is going through the back side of the air filter element. There is a brass female threaded T that has both outside carb vents T'ed together on the bottom. The Center of the brass T is plugged into the backside of the airfilter. The top of the brass T goes to the control valve. The other line coming off the control valve goes to the farthest carb to the threaded insert that goes just above the float bowl. The two carbs are joined together in the center connecting the vent tubes together. I got no effect from all the way closed to all the way open. Only noticed a slight increase in temps at around 5100 rpm (it might have been there all the time and just was watching it more closely with the insall). I don't mind having WOT a bit rich but was wanting to get my temps up to 1100=1150 in cruise and was not able to do that even with it all the way lean..

I did just think of something. I put thread lock on the threaded nipple supplied by the kit. if it was plugged with thread lock maybe that did something.

As mentioned by Av8r the restricter orifice sounds like the place to look. It should be big enough to vent the carbs,but if too big the Hacman won't work properly.You should get full mixture control up to near full throttle,mine lets me keep sea level egt' to at least 10,000ft.I still change my mains each season as full throttle the Hacman has little effect( mine is a home brew version so may vary from the real deal)

UPDATE,
    After talking to people here I went through the Hacman install and found the one single restrictor connection installed incorrectly. The instructions do show the elbow with the black mark on the tip (however it is easy to miss in the instructions so look at the pics VERY closely) Also I had 2 fittings that had the black marks but only one had the restrictor in the orifice. So now it is working properly and I took it up for 2 hrs yesterday. My advice on the install is look inside the plastic fittings for the restrictor because they all look alike from the outside and don't assume the black mark means it is the correct fitting. I was able to keep the EGT in the 1120-1150 mark with very little fiddling. twice the rpms changed slightly and I got up to 1175 for a few secs until I enriched it. Overall I am pleased with the install and thanks guys.
    Mark