Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 55 of 87 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

In my experience, door lock equals broken window and what ever they wanted...

Ross,

On the door locks, I had the two pin set up which was discussed on this thread and came to the same conclusion. The locksmith even provided a pair of matched lock cylinders so both sides would have the same key. I have a friend with a S5 which does not use the two pin setup and he has full glazing on the doors. He used a rotating latch system bolted to the rectangular frame on the botttom of the door with a lock cylinder which holds the latch in the locked position - sorry no photo.

Regarding the panel paint. I attached a photo of our panel which uses a light grey. I used some auto lacquer. Lacquer dries with a dull finish where a person normally buffs it out to make it shiny - just saved the buffing and ended up with a dull surface. If a person wants to experiment - you can change the texture of lacquer considerably by playing with the solvent (fast solvent makes for a duller finish) or the temperature - high temps also make for a duller finish - or you can hold the gun further away which makes for a duler finish. So much work is done with enamels or urethanes and they all dry to a shiny finish. Lacquer dries dull and you can make it more so by experimenting with your technique. I don't think there are very many people familiar with lacquer anymore.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp drive
    St Paul, MN
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default FWF Kit arrives!

I got home from 2 weeks working away last night at 9:30pm. Today the FWF kit was delivered so it was a great way to start the next phase on a wonderful clear skied autumn day here in Mt Beauty! Gayle helped me do the inventory and put things away but we are really keen to get going on this next and final stage. As I write most of these posts for those yet to arrive at this stage, the FWF kit came in a 1m x 1m x 1.2 m box and weighted 66kg. We ordered the kit for the 912is and it looks to be really complete. we also got a few of the kits that we were undecided about when we got the main kit, namely the parking brake kit, low fuel warning kit, cabin heater kit and the trim assist kit. I will post a pick of each of these as we start to install them. Looking forward tomorrow!

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Default FWF and boot cowl goes on~

I was good to get back into the hanger and sort out all the goodies that came with the FWF kit. Wasting no time, I got straight to mounting the Fire Wall and the boot cowling - a bit of trimming fibreglass and riveting the foot-well close outs. Drilled for the attach points on the fuselage but I guess the boot cowl can stay off now until the behind panel work is done and the cowls are painted.

So time to unpack the engine and get it ready for mounting tomorrow. All went well. My 912is came with a muffler attached so I am figuring I don't need the one that came with the FWF kit? I cannot read anywhere that it needs to be changed out for the one that came with the FWF kit - can anyone else with the 912is advise?

looking forward tomorrow!
    cheers

ross
    Last edited by rosslr; 05-02-2015 at 12:19 AM.
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Default Engine On!

Another good day at the hanger. With Gayle and our friend Graeme helping we managed to get the engine mounted. Its nice to have it hanging off the plane at last! It all went pretty well with only a little bit of forced to get everything to line up. The only mods required prior to fitting were to change the oil return connector to the other side of the engine and to change the angle of the water pump outlet. Also had to drop the muffler to get the two lower attach bolts through the ring mount.

cheers Ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Looking good Ross. Big step hanging the engine.
    Beautiful Kitfox. Thanks for the updates and photos.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

HI Steve, thanks for that. I am enjoying yours too and admire the quality of your build.

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Watching your build progress is very inspirational. Keep it coming. I very much look forward to your first flight.

Mike

I is clear that I need the prop and spinner to progress the cowling and engine install- at least in the sequence suggested in the manual. So I am discussing the prop combination to go with the Airmaster I/F adjustable hub. I am trying to get some performance data on the Whirlwind 75" stol prop Vs the 70". I am concerned about the ability of the 912is to handle the larger prop however Airmaster say they can make sure I can get full rpm from the engine. Just not sure how it will perform through the performance spectrum - ie. T/O, climb and cruise.

Anyway, plenty to go one with! Today I worked on the panel, changed one set of main gear bolts (that I was not happy with as I took a bit off the thread in the first fitting), fitted the door guards, fitted the trim assist kit and fitted the tank and fittings for the low fuel warning kit.

I can report that the trim assist kit evens out the pressure on the stick - you might recall i was a little concerned at the back pressure needed on the stick - I know that the kit is actually designed to relieve back pressure in the approach and flair but it is also noticeable on the ground.

Tomorrow, perhaps the parking brake kit!?

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

All my dealings with Airmaster have ben 100% top notch. They seem like a great bunch of people there. I think you will be very happy with that prop Ross.

I'm in the same boat as you trying to fit the cowling as my spinner was an 8.75" Waiting for the 11" in the mail
    Last edited by Esser; 05-04-2015 at 08:12 AM.