Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lift Strut Fairings

Default Lift Strut Fairings

What is the best way to remove the molded in ridges that run the length of the PVC fairings that Kitfox sells for the SS7? Do I just have to sand them out, or use SuperFill and then sand?

Also do I need to use structural adhesive on the inside where they meet the round steel struts or just snap them on and call it good? They seem to snap on quite tight.

Jim

Default Re: Lift Strut Fairings

Mine are just snapped on and un-sanded as I plan on making my own light weight ones. I put them on "temporarily" 200 hrs ago and they are still there.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

For the smooth look, sanding...lots and lots of sanding. The factory recomends using construction adhesive to attach to the strut and to bond the trailing edge shut.

Like mentioned above some people do not attach with adhesive, just snap on and go.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I sanded the ridges, painted and snapped on
    Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page

I used a palm sander with a heavy grit, then I used a fine grit to make it smooth. It was faster than sanding by hand. I'm almost done.

I like the snap on idea at least for the first few hours. I look at my aluminum glued on fairings and wonder if I got them lined up the way I really want them. Every set of PVC fairings I have seen have been warped longitudinally so I suspect friction will allow for small adjustments to minimize drag and adjust for roll tendency. In past discussions, there has been lots of heavy winged Kitfoxes and I am wondering if this can, to some degree, be attributed to mis aligned fairings. I am not flying yet, but will be particularly interested in the roll tendency of my airplane and what I find will be what I will always have. I think what I would do if I were using the PVC fairings today would be to snap them on and fly some hours - making adjustments. Then mark them for a basic allignment and then remove them and apply some slow curing adhesive and fly again, twisting them between flights till I got it right then letting the adhesive cure. then doing the closeouts etc.
    Lowell

Talking Re: Lift Strut Fairings

I built a jig for the strut and they work perfect.

Thanks for the comments. I am sanding the ridges out with a palm sander and heavy then lighter grit as was suggested. It is working quite well except for one thing: there is one groove that runs full length that is fairly deep and I am afraid to sand it all out for fear of getting the surrounding material too thin. Can I fill it with SuperFill? Will it adhere to the roughed up PVC? If not, I am going to sand it down as much as I dare and then leave it there and call it an accent strip!

Jim

Still looking for replies on whether SuperFill adheres to the PVC or not? Is there a better filler to use?

Jim

Jim
    Can't speak for Super Fil, but I did what you are contemplating on my first Model IV. I was then pretty heavy into Epoxy so used Epoxy with microballoons as a filler to make up the paste. Down side, it sets pretty slow, but it stuck fine. My plan back then was to prep one of the fairings and use it as a plug mold for fiberglass fairings. I got some bad advice that scared me away from that idea and put the PVC on with the grooves sanded off and any sanding glitches were prepped with the micro. I think Super Fil or Featherfil are more like Bondo using polyester resin, but with the light weight filler. I would think they would work especially the prep sanding.
    Lowell