Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tall Pilot

Default Tall Pilot

I'm considering a series 7 but I was curious about how comfortable I'll be in the plane. I'm 6' 4" tall and weigh in about 225. So far in my research I haven't fit very well in many experimentals, RV's included.

Any one with experience to share?

Thank you.

Default Re: Tall Pilot

Steve I have the same considerations as you. I am 6.4 215, my legs are 37 in inseam and sit normally. ( I have longer legs). Girls like it but sucks for kitplanes. I sat in a KF 7s last weekend. And surprisingly comfortably I might add. I should be able to sit for long periods without discomfort but I will have to modify the placement of the throttle more to the right of center, make sure I get completely full aft adjustments on the rudder pedals and install the brake cylinders with line out facing 90 degrees to the firewall vice toward the firewall to insure additional throw on rudder pedal adjustment. I will also have to add a little more padding on under the leg pads of the seat to insure better leg support. I also recommend the bubble windows. Otherwise I fit comfortably!!

Mike

Call Paul Leadabrand at Stick & Rudder, he's got to be at least 6' 1" or 6' 2".
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I have taken guys 6'4" 6'5" 230 240 lbs for rides in my model 5 ,,they fit well,..I don't have the adjustable pedals
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I'm 6'3" but quite thin. For the most comfortable leg position and natural ankle angle, I actually moved my rudder pedals towards me about 1.5". I know it sounds backwards but it you think about it, your knees are already bent so at that point, it is about making sure that the angle your ankle to your foot makes is natural. With the base of the rudder pedals closer to me, I can have the top of the rudder pedals closer to the firewall which makes the pedals have an obtuse angle instead of a right angle.

I hope I didn't confuse you more. If you need more clarification let me know.

I had a Murphy Rebel jocky sit in my SS7 the other day and he was blown away with how much room he had. He is 6'4" and about 235 lbs. It looked to me that he still had about 2" of head room. He used to fly a Model 4, so he is familiar with the kitfox.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

I'm 6'4". I've been flying around in Stick and Rudder's airplane without any problems. One thing I would suggest though is to get the thinner seats. I was using the standard seats and clearing fine, but it gets a little tight with a headset on. Also I want to be able to add some thing for lumbar support.
    John Grueter
    N188LR
    Kenosha, WI
    Series 7 Super Sport - flying!

Thank you all for the good: information. I really appreciate it. Now I need to find someone on the central coast of California that has a 7 for me to sit in.

I'm 6'4" 240lbs 36" inseam. I was out last week and saw Stick and Rudders new addition with the 912is. Preston allowed me to jump in with him. He closed the door and we had ample cross room. I wish the rudder pedals went another 2"'s aft but it was very doable stock.

pedals.jpgThoughts I drew up that may work. Experts please critique:

1 modify the peddal assemble feet. By clipping off an inch on the back side and adding an inch to the front side
    2. Turn the breaks sideways
    3. Slide the pedal assembly forward 2 inches.
    4 bend the firewall out forward To compensade for rudder peddel change
    5. Move the pilot side pedal adjustments forward two inches
    Make a seat pillow leg support extension. .