Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Oldie/Newbie Intro and 582 Muffler Replacement Question

Default Oldie/Newbie Intro and 582 Muffler Replacement Question

Folks:

Greetings. I am a Model IV 1050 builder/owner (450 hours) from the early 90s and was very active in the Forum at the time, but life gets in the way ...

Now I find I need members' help again. Today I blew my 'tailpipe' off the muffler, in flight. Funny, and I had just yanked on it in May during the plane's annual and it was secure. Oh well.

Ok, since the pipe is gone and I do not like the rattling I hear when shaking the muffler I assume some of the baffles are also toast, so I would like to obtain a new muffler/pipe combo rather than try to salvage this one. No reason to be cheap with this.

Now, Skystar is out of business and Kitfox does not appear to be supporting the 2-strokes at all, so where do I obtain a new muffler with the tailpipe properly clocked for exit from the Kitfox cowling? I will try LEAF but thought I would post and see what other members have done who have needed replacements.

I would like to keep the configuration exactly as I have it now as that has worked for 15 years.

I hope I am posting to the right place. I already screwed up once, sorry! So many choices in this forum.

Robert Beck

Thanks in advance, and looking forward to your accumulated wisdom/BS!

Default Re: Oldie/Newbie Intro and 582 Muffler Replacement Question

I have a muffler that came off a Kitfox 3 with 582. Had about 50 hours on it. Not sure what it's worth, I do know what the new ones cost, and these have to be modified to fit a Kitfox. Should be a few around though, guys switching to 912s and such. Jim Chuk

Thanks Avidflyer and lets see what shakes out. I may take that one off your hands if it is the same configuration as mine. Can you get a pic in the next few days? Preferably showing how the tailpipe exits. No rush.

I also have one. It is new from the Model IV kit I finished. What is wrong with it? Nothing except it has not been drilled for the EGT probe installations and the attachment springs are missing. I know next to nothing about IIIs and 582s so can't provide any other info. In the photo what looks like rust is dust. There is no rust. Send a Personal note or email if interested.

582 Muffler Kitfox.jpg
    Last edited by HighWing; 10-24-2014 at 05:27 PM.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

You can weld back on the tail pipe
    if a baffle is loose just get it welded
    add a brace and you all set

you will have less power and a lot of smell with no tail pipe.

need a picture ?

problem is with the modified muffler the tail pipe is longer than OEM rotax and the added weight just causes the ,muffler end to crack and fall of in time.

The kitfox exhaust was butchered/ modified by denny/skystar to allow it to fit in the cowl -- also lost about 5 to 7 HP in the process -- this is one reason the 582s last way part 300 hours in kitfoxes.

either way weld it back on and go fly -- put on a brace

Thanks, Dave. trouble is there is no tailpipe to weld on and I will say no more. I've emailed Lowell Fitt about buying his which seems to be a match. I will go back through the forums and find info on the brace for the tailpipe, and ask you guys if I cannot find specific information.

Thanks again.