Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 13 gallon tank dimensions

Default 13 gallon tank dimensions

Is there a quick way to determine the capacity of a set of fiberglass wing tanks in a Model III (13 vs 6 gal)? I am assuming a length measurement or maybe number of ribs?

Default Re: 13 gallon tank dimensions

the length of the 6 and 13 gallon tanks will be the same ,the width is where the difference is . they have to fit between the front and rear spars . the 6 gallon tank fits in the first bay between the first and second rib . the 13 gallon tank takes up two bays , the second rib is not required and the tank is between the first and third ribs.
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Thanks Chuck

Hi just a quick point, converting the wing from 6 to13 gallon tank may require
    Relocation of the diagonal spar braces, I bet a dollar there' out! Take a look at the drawings for rib layout and assembly! Fortunately the whole wing was needing recovering so a lot of work relocating braces! Good luck

that is correct , a brace does have to be shortened and moved a bay outboard . the fitting that attaches the brace to the spar will then be at the incorrect angle for the shortened brace and another will have to be fabricated with the correct angle . i think there are some pictures in my albums of this since I've installed 13 gal tanks in both wings .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa