Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Drivers license - Third Class Medical Proposal

Default Re: Drivers license - Third Class Medical Proposal

All I have to say is...good luck!!!

This is all hearsay, Spoke to a good friend who is friend of an FAA guy. The FAA guy really didn't have any info other than saying that 'if' it gets through the beauratic pipeline, it would probably take 3 more years to get made into a useable regulation. Like I said, all hearsay.

Ain't I just a wealth of good news!

Our best hope for action is to keep up the pressure on congress. The FAA is a beurocratic nightmare that is nearly frozen in self protecting red tape. Not that congress is much better...

I have read recently that the number of congressional co sponcers is growing. With a new majority in the senate, my hopes are greater for this to proceed steadily.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

100% agree av8r3400!! I am currently over here in the land of loonies (near DC) where all those high society types congrugate. Having spent a little time around them, my overall opinion is very low. Bunch of butt kissers and brown nosers who have a dim view of the rest of this great countries populous. They really are out of touch with reality and have no clue as to what we are dealing with.
    The FAA is not much better, my son was selected to be part of a 'study' on implimentation of furture rules/regulations of GA/UAS (Drones). While he was involved, he stated to me that the FAA engineers were completely out of touch with what goes on, or involved with general avaiation. Sad state of affairs for us lowly recreational flyers.

This link is still active.

http://govt.eaa.org/14781/support-ge...act/?m=4570659

Send more letters. Send them once a week. Or once a day. Keep the pressure up and spread this link around to all of your flying friends.

Lets all keep pushing and pushing hard!
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Second set of letters are on the way. Thanks for the reminder . . .
    RobS

This is the latest I've read

January 13, 2015
    By Elizabeth A Tennyson

It has been nearly seven months since the Department of Transportation (DOT) began a planned 90-day review of the FAA’s proposed medical reform rule, and AOPA members and the general aviation community are frustrated by the department’s inaction, AOPA President Mark Baker told Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx in a strongly worded letter sent Jan. 13.http://www.aopa.org/-/media/Files/AO...oxx_letter.pdf
    “Proposed medical reforms, which simply seek to expand on a standard used successfully for a decade, have been under review for three years, making it incomprehensible to many in the aviation community that no action has yet been taken,” Baker wrote.

The standard, which allows some pilots to fly recreationally without obtaining a third class medical certificate, has been in use since 2004 when the FAA adopted the sport pilot rule.
    “The evidence is clear: Allowing pilots to fly without going through the third-class medical process is safe,” Baker wrote. “The FAA’s proposed rule would simply extend this standard to more pilots flying more types of small aircraft.”
    The proposed medical reforms have the support of more than 180 bipartisan members of Congress, who co-sponsored legislation known as the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act that would have allowed thousands more pilots to fly without obtaining a medical certificate. Major aviation organizations and type clubs also have publicly expressed support for reforms as have the Flying Physicians Association and the AOPA Medical Advisory Board, whose members are both doctors and pilots.
    Allowing reform to move forward also will save time and money for pilots and the federal government while bolstering general aviation—an industry that contributes $150 billion to the economy and supports more than $1.2 million jobs but is struggling, in part because of the high cost of flying.
    AOPA estimates that medical reform, as proposed under the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act, would save pilots $24.6 million every year. A conservative estimate also shows an annual savings of $1.9 million to the FAA.
    Because third class medical exams take place only once every two or five years depending on age, they are no substitute for an honest relationship with a primary care doctor and the self-assessment that pilots must conduct before every flight. To help pilots accurately assess their fitness to fly, AOPA is developing a comprehensive online educational course, which will be offered free to the public.
    Baker also noted that even without a medical certification requirement pilots must undergo an evaluation with a flight instructor at least every two years to act as pilot in command. During these flight reviews, instructors evaluate the pilot’s cognitive condition, as well as his or her physical ability to safely operate an aircraft. If either is in question they do not endorse the pilot.
    “Our members, the general aviation industry, members of Congress, and the American people are frustrated with our government’s inability to move efficiently and effectively on issues that will improve safety, save money, and help create jobs and support local economies,” Baker wrote. “On behalf of our members and the aviation community we must ask, when will the Department of Transportation allow third-class medical reform to move forward? The time to take action is now.”
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news...s223444-1.html

Folks: please remember as of this month we now have a new congress and senate. These new bodies do have many proponents of this legislation.

Please continue to write letters, send emails and even call their offices voicing your support for these much needed medical reforms.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    100% agree av8r3400!! I am currently over here in the land of loonies (near DC) where all those high society types congrugate. Having spent a little time around them, my overall opinion is very low. Bunch of butt kissers and brown nosers who have a dim view of the rest of this great countries populous. They really are out of touch with reality and have no clue as to what we are dealing with.
    The FAA is not much better, my son was selected to be part of a 'study' on implimentation of furture rules/regulations of GA/UAS (Drones). While he was involved, he stated to me that the FAA engineers were completely out of touch with what goes on, or involved with general avaiation. Sad state of affairs for us lowly recreational flyers.
    Now I'm not a moderator, but you have to keep this political discussion to the appropriate Discussion Group. However, I couldn't have said it better myself, especially the "Bunch of butt kissers and brown nosers who have a dim view of the rest of this great countries populous. They really are out of touch with reality and have no clue as to what we are dealing with." Well said!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Re: The General Aviation Pilot Protection Act

Folks,

Today in response to my communication with our Senator about the Aviation Act (above) I got a rather generic response from our Senator Tammy Baldwin. An excerpt is included below. It appears we cannot let up the pressure from us (the constituents.)

Skot

"S. 2103 did not become law before the 113th Congress concluded in December 2014 and would therefore need to be reintroduced for it to be considered during this session of Congress. The General Aviation Pilot Protection Act has not yet been reintroduced in the 114th Congress, which began on January 6, 2015."
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

I attended the Northwest Aviation convention this weekend. The keynote speaker was Mark Baker, the President of AOPA. He said that a new version of "the pilots protection act" will be filed with this new Congress within 10 DAYS!!!!!! He also said that it would be much stronger than the first one and that it has some heavy hitters that are pushing it. Get ready to support this one and to contact your elected officials. We can make this happen!