Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7ss vs 7 Speedster differences

Default 7ss vs 7 Speedster differences

Saw on Facebook that there was a partially built 7 Speedster for sale. I would like a Super Sport, but I’m wondering what the differences are? And, if it can be converted to a Super Sport. Thanks.

Default Re: 7ss vs 7 Speedster differences

They clip a bay of the wing for the speedster, add a bunch of fairings and have the airfoil struts and gear. The 7 wing is going to be a better all around wing unless you want aerobatics.
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

Really? Didn't the SS7 speedster just come available in Aug after that airframe option was announced at Airventure 2017? I would think that that option would just now be available for delivery let alone partially built. That's fast.
    Eddie

You can modify your kit to become a speedster.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

So, if I understand this. The biggest differences is the clipped wings. So, if it has regular Super Sport wings and then having the rest of airplane “Speedster” that won’t effect the characteristics that it’ll fly like a Super sport, right?

The speedster appears to have no dihedral which would be hard to change.I'm curious to why the difference and if anyone has flown with both options good or bad or indifferent?

The big thing is if he modified the kit to be a speedster find out if he clipped the wings already. If it’s Jasons, it looks like the wings haven’t been touched yet so dihedral will not have been set yet. The speedster also has new aero dynamic grove gear, Jason’s has cabine gear. Everything in the speedster is generally to clean it up. No major changes except the clipped wing.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    The big thing is if he modified the kit to be a speedster find out if he clipped the wings already. If it’s Jasons, it looks like the wings haven’t been touched yet so dihedral will not have been set yet. The speedster also has new aero dynamic grove gear, Jason’s has cabine gear. Everything in the speedster is generally to clean it up. No major changes except the clipped wing.
    Yeah, that is the one I’m looking at. It looks like a nice build so far, but timing may be wrong for me. I was planning/budgeting for a late spring purchase, so I don’t think I’m in his ballpark. Plus, transporting across country from Chicago in the winter doesn’t sound fun. But, I’m still thinking about it... 😁

Quote Originally Posted by littlecricket View Post
    Yeah, that is the one I’m looking at. It looks like a nice build so far, but timing may be wrong for me. I was planning/budgeting for a late spring purchase, so I don’t think I’m in his ballpark. Plus, transporting across country from Chicago in the winter doesn’t sound fun. But, I’m still thinking about it... 😁
    It really looks like a great deal. Lots of labour is completed as well as some discount on parts. If I were in your shoes I’d try to make it work!
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

The estimate from Kitfox is included in his pictures, but with the prices conveniently left out of the frame. It looks like a standard kit, but with some speedster options added. Also of note is that it is missing some pieces (wind screen and doors), but appears to come with others (cowls). Since his email address indicates he's from dream schemes who designed the paint for the factory Speedster, he probably had an early line on the Speedster mods, and may have been in a good position to work out a bargain. The $29k price he got may already include a bit of a discount from Kitfox as the streamlined lift struts are a $3500 option on their own. With the additional discount he's offering, plus the completed work, this looks like a pretty good deal. If I didn't have my own kit arriving in a couple weeks...