Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Lack of youtube videos encouraging

Default Lack of youtube videos encouraging

I'm still a bit nervous about a two stroke aircraft engine. To my surprise there are only two Rotax aircraft engine failures I could find on youtube. Both were ultra-lites. One guy lost it at 300ft and landed in a nice field. One was farting around at low altitude and ended up nose down in some trees. Unless you guys have some horror stories, which I hope you don't, I'm encouraged by this lack of video.

Default Re: Lack of youtube videos encouraging

When I was learning how to fly. Me and my instructor had an piston failure. Luckily, we were in the pattern when it happened. Landed with no problem. Rotax 582.
    I’ll stay with 4 strokes especially in the mountains here in AZ
    Brad Smith
    KF Vixen IO-240
    Flying when I have gas money

No horror stories. To keep them flying reliably takes knowledge of managing mixture and EGT’s. I always keep an eye on my EGT'S. With a Hacman mixture control I try to set mine to run at 1150 degrees and never exceed 1200. If you get to 1300, the pistons will melt. Try to avoid running at mid range RPMs (around 4500) because EGT's skyrocket around there. You also have to be careful about unloading the prop for the same reason. This can happen when you're bouncing around in turbulence too.

Other than that, just make sure your systems are solid and preflight the engine carefully. No reason not to enjoy your plane because it's two stroke powered. I made the Kitfox Factory Fly-in with mine and flew in the backcountry too. A little slower than the other folks, but it made it fine.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Smile Re: Lack of youtube videos encouraging

Dead men tell no tales..... :-) JImChuk

I'm not sure why you would expect Rotax 2-stroke failures to show up on YouTube.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    I'm not sure why you would expect Rotax 2-stroke failures to show up on YouTube.
    Seems like you can see just about anything and everything on You Tube... The Google knows EVERYTHING! Pretty scary!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Talking Re: Lack of youtube videos encouraging

I guess you're right John, I stand corrected. I went back and looked at my emergency checklist for engine failure, and sure enough, item 1 is "Mount and turn on video camera".
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

We just had one in Ramona. A 477 went down due to ignition problems. First, it's a single ignition engine, so you really want to make sure everything's fine with that system, right? So it turns out the wire to the pickup was so loose that the flywheel was able to cut it. Really!?! Definitely a builder horror story. (Yes, everything turned out OK. Good forced landing, but bent some gear.)

The 582 I flew behind for four years, flying all over the west, was a great motor. The only problem with it was that it was a little under powered for high altitude flight with two, and that you had to carry your oil for long cross countries. (Yes, you could ship oil, but that cut down on the flexibility a bit.) There are some basic rules that you follow and if you do so religiously the 582 will work. (Almost 600 hours for me.)
    Guy Buchanan
    San Diego, CA
    Deceased K-IV 1200 / 912uls / 70" Warp 3cs

gebuchanan@cox.net

There are plenty of certified 4 stroke engines that fail too. While your on youtube look them up too. I have flown with 582s and 503s and have had good luck with them. Not that I have a ton of time on them but I run them regularly. I was one of the 3 guys at my last fly in with the cowl off (one sonex and a beechcraft and my avid). Had to replace the plugs but then noticed it wasn't charging and thought stator, but it ended up just being a loose wire tied in from the regulator to the electrical. It had been crimped in with another wire to a single connector by PO and had worked loose on the 2.5 hr flight. It was not the 582 that had the problem. I would not want to leave a 2 stroke un fogged for a yr and expect it to perform. It may or it may not. They like to be used regularly. Also don't expect to just look at a 2 stroke only at the condition inspection. Keep a spare set of plugs with you everywhere and it will usually fix it when it won't start enjoy it and use it.
    Mark

Thanks for the tip on spare plugs. It never crossed my mind. As for cameras in the aircraft, search youtube for Kitfox IV and see what you find. My friend Olle1975 has many videos. But you just don't see any engine failures. Which is good!

I can see a simple, light weight took kit would be handy too.