Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: KF4-1200 is Mine! My NEW Plane! -to me-

Default KF4-1200 is Mine! My NEW Plane! -to me-

I just sent the deposit and am planning when I'll head out to get my new plane!

http://s928.photobucket.com/user/rdooley79/story/39533

I wanted to get a second generation plane but didn't figure I could fine one that was nice that I could afford. I found this bird lurking on another forum and the owner hinted that he was thinking about selling it. I was able to get a goood deal on her. She comes with a trailer, perfect to bring her home with! The AFTT is about 500 and the Rotax 582 has about 130 since rebuild. The gearbox is the "C" with 3:1 and has been upgraded with the RK400 clutch. It has the upgraded Grove spring gear and wheels/brakes with McCreary Air Hawk tires. The intercom is a Flightcom 403 and a Microair M760 radio as well as a Narco AT150 transponder, not sure about the encoder. It has all the normal instruments and VSI. Seats have been died black since the pictures. There is also the heater mod made from an oil cooler installed. My wife is excited for heat!
    I really like the Citabria style paint job. it's reported to be in good condition and shows well. The plane would sure look nice with a fresh coat of Carnuba wax and the landing gear polished up!

Next is to get to TN from CO and drag it home, safely. I'm super worried about transporting it on the trailer and damaging it somewhere along the 1500 miles to my airport! Should be o.k. the plane has all of the travel struts and supports and the trailer is built for the kitfox.

SO EXCITED!!!!!

Default Re: KF4-1200 is Mine! My NEW Plane! -to me-

awesome~!! good for you Rdooley,..from my experience hauling my model 2 on a trailer..strap the wheels only,..don't tie the airframe down,..if it's an open trailer,..you might want to consider searching the area near where your picking up your bird for a boat dealership and get it heat wrapped ,.this will keep the elements off her for the road trip,..if it's an enclosed trailer your set take a couple old socks with you,..if it's an open trailer,...slide the socks over the prop tips and tie a knot to one side then tie a rope around the knots and go in an X down to the trailer,,this will keep the prop from wind milling,,don't tie these lines too tight,,allow for the suspension of the plane to travel,,leaving a little slack ,..I'm not too far from Fort Leonardwood,, not sure if your taking the high road ( route 70) or coming down by Kansas city then scooting across 60 to 63 or? but if you end up in this area for the night I can save you some motel expenses
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

$.02 - Take the prop off rather than tying it.

During the trip stop often and check everything.

Is the trailer tail first or nose first?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I hauled one Avid 550 miles, and another about 300. To keep the prop from turning, I ran a rope from the center of the prop, made a half-hitch close to the end of the prop, and then tied the end of the rope to the trailer. I did rap some electricians tape around the half-hitch to keep it in place. When the prop tries to turn as you drive, it will tighten up the rope. Don't, know if it was mentioned, but it's really hard on the tail spring to trailer the plane with it setting on the tailwheel. Better to support the fuselage on the hitch connector tube that goes through the fuselage. Jim Chuk

Nice looking plane. I don't understand the two header tanks. most foxes have only one.

Talking Re: KF4-1200 is Mine! My NEW Plane! -to me-

The two header tanks is the original builders solution to a mistake made building the plane. Unfortunately it only has a right wing tank that holds 13 gallons. The left wing has a storage locker and no tank. As you know a 582 will burn about 5gph and this limits the planes endurance. So the second header was added....

Ya not the way it's going to be for long. From the forums here and on avidfoxflyers.com a spun aluminum tank about 12 gallons mounted behind the seats is reported as a good option without installing a tank in the left wing. Honestly I kind of like adding the bigger header tank and keeping the storage in the left wing. This will give me good storage with a large fuel capability. Shoot. I can just fill up the header tank and have enough fuel for a quick 45 minute flight around the patch with good performance or fill it all the way up and go cross country. The wing locker could potentially hold a 5 gallon fuel bladder to add a splash of gas at the destination then roll it up when empty.

Down the road the plan is to install a Rotax 670 from Rotax Rick. He builds nice engines and for this plane is the best option. Please don't turn this thread in to an engine debate, it's a beaten topic :-) But ya the 670 is the next engine.
    It will use about the same gas as a 912, making the fuel quantity on board with a 12 gallon header tank + 13 gallon wing tank = 25 gallon / 4gph = 6.1 hours of fuel! conservatively that calculates out as 80mph * 5hrs = 400mile with reserve!

The plane is currently airworthy with a current condition inspection. My plan after getting it back home is to go through the plane to learn every detail. Once I'm comfortable with it then have my A&P buddy check it out for a second opinion and to also show off my new plane Hopefully we don't find anything or if we do it's easily remedied. Then fly it! Get a bunch of hours while it's still cold out. Once it heats up, swap the engine out for more hp. The fuel tank will get swapped out sooner than later more than likely but it's not necessary to get some hours in her.

MY NEW PLANE!!!!! wooohooo!!!!!

I will not make any more comments on the 912. I did you a pm and just mentioned, a better engine. your choice is your choice. I like your plane, she looks real nice. Now I understand the second tank. Have fun with er and fly safe. My advice after you have everything put in with the new engine would be to weigh the airplane so you know what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I hauled one Avid 550 miles, and another about 300. To keep the prop from turning, I ran a rope from the center of the prop, made a half-hitch close to the end of the prop, and then tied the end of the rope to the trailer. I did rap some electricians tape around the half-hitch to keep it in place. When the prop tries to turn as you drive, it will tighten up the rope. Don't, know if it was mentioned, but it's really hard on the tail spring to trailer the plane with it setting on the tailwheel. Better to support the fuselage on the hitch connector tube that goes through the fuselage. Jim Chuk

This is my main concern to get it back undamaged. The trailer is built from a jet ski trailer with the plane facing backwards (prop facing away from the truck). the guy says that the trailer is built well for the plane but who knows if that means it'll ride well for 1500 miles. I've got some awesome tire straps that work well for my other plane. How have people loaded Kitfoxes on car trailers and supported the tail well? If I need to make a brace out of 2x4's to mount to the tail hard points, I will! What has worked well for others?

Bee in your bonnet, rdooley79-- Replacing or re-arching a sagged tailwheel spring is much easier than repairing bent tubes in the fuselage. Another member here had tubing damage after an extended trip with the tail rigidly attached to the trailer.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Here are a couple of pics of Avids and the trailers I used to haul them home. I said in an earlier message that I hauled one Avid 300 and another one 550 miles. I forgot to mention this yellow one that I hauled 450 miles as well. Any way, the tails were supported in all three of those cases. And using the tubing that was put there to attach a trailering hitch to. If I'm thinking of the same damaged Kitfox that was mentioned in the last post, my memory is that it was tied down in such a way that maybe the bouncing and flexing of the trailer is what damaged it. But then again, I've been wrong before... (one time I had thought I had made a mistake, and then found out I hadn't! LOL) Take care, Jim Chuk
    Attached Images Attached Images