Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morning Rocket Launch

Default Morning Rocket Launch

A photo I took this morning. Atlas V from Cape Canaveral. When it climbed into the sun it created a spectacular visual effect.

Yes, I took this from my driveway!

Default Re: Morning Rocket Launch

great shot. always wanted to come down to watch a launch. Tried twice with the shuttle and missed it both times due to delays and my having to get home.
    one day it will happen.

You live pretty close to the Base.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I worked as a Flight Controller at Johnson Space Center in Houston for 30 years all the way through the Gemini, Apollo and Space Shuttle era's. I got to the Cape one time during one of the Apollo Earth orbit test flights, to monitor some critical telemetry parameters we couldn't see in Houston. Well the booster took off and I never even heard it, much less saw it. I never ever got another chance to get down there during a launch. That's super you're so close. Thanks for the picture.
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

I grew up close to the Cape and, with a 20-year gap for an army career, been watching rocket launches since 1958.

Very cool Tom! We should have a Kitfox BBQ at your place for a scheduled launch.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    Very cool Tom! We should have a Kitfox BBQ at your place for a scheduled launch.

The problem is they rarely launch on schedule.
    Last edited by Tom Waid; 09-02-2015 at 09:40 AM.

Just saw the report on the noon news. But your pic is better than what they showed. Thanks for sharing.

I was once worked a project for the Air Force at Cape Canaveral, and was invited by the Colonel to attend the next Launch. It did not go off as schedule. The Colonel invited me back, but never was able to break away from the Rock Pit to go watch. I would have loved to watch one from the Cape! One of those life long regrets.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

The visuals are obviously cool, but it's the sound when you're close that is really awesome! Love to feel the thrubbing in the chest. Even better than standing a few feet away from a jet in afterburner (yeah, that is pretty dumb even with hearing protection, but I was young you know ).
    If you can not get on base, Jetty Park in Cape Canaveral is pretty good, especially if the wind is from the North to carry the sound your way. I think that is only around 6 or 7 miles from the Atlas and SpaceX launch pads.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon