Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flaperon install - Binding push-pull tubes and interference when folding. Model III

Default Re: Flaperon install - Binding push-pull tubes and interference when folding. Model

Thats perfect. Thanks for posting these!

Default Re: Flaperon install - Binding push-pull tubes and interference when folding. Model

I actually have a boat load of clearance to my seat belt bolt.

Still working on this. Hopefully success soon!

If you have lots of clearance from the seat belt bolt, and his is real close but works, it seems maybe your flaperon arms were installed to far in towards the center of the airplane. Please take a picture from the same angle as Av8r Sed's first picture. It that is the problem, I would think you could drill out the rivets the hold the arm to the flaperon tube, slide the arm in further and drill and rivet in the right place. Jim Chuk

I believe my arms were both riveted and glued with structural adhesive. So if Larry's were done the same way that would mean drilling out the rivets and applying some heat?
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Tried a suggestion to invert the push-pull rod. This puts the large weldment down near the mixer vice up near the seat belt bracket.

Appears to be a solution on the surface (also looks a lot cleaner). Any reason to not go that direction?

My dimensions are the same as what AV8RSED shows. Still looking for the smoking gun here. Some success with inverted rods though.

Paul:

Any chance you could post a pic of how your hinged lower rud support is put together. I need to make something similar and could use some ideas.

Quick update. Ended up going with the upside down rods and those would just touch a full deflection. Added a bit of curvature to the rod (each side) and the world is a happy place. Will forgo the folding problem for now.

Thanks to everyone for providing feedback on this problem. Thanks to Tim T for making the trip up today to help in the final resolution and rigging!

Larry

Hey TJ:

In the pics you posted. By chance does that guy have issues with folding clearance as well? Mine looks almost identical to that one. Is it also a Model III?

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by LSaupe View Post
    Hey TJ:

In the pics you posted. By chance does that guy have issues with folding clearance as well? Mine looks almost identical to that one. Is it also a Model III?

Larry
    It is a Model 2. What I remember is he did have some difficulty with clearance between the flaperon and fuselage. It is sitting in an hangar with the wings folded now. If I see that hangar open when I'm at the airport I'll take another look and see what I can see.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder