Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flaperon install - Binding push-pull tubes and interference when folding. Model III

Default Flaperon install - Binding push-pull tubes and interference when folding. Model III

Installed the flaperons today only to find that I have interference issues when trying to add flaps or when trying to fold the wings.

It almost behaves like the flaperons are too far back and down. Leading edge will hit the fuselage tubing when trying to fold and; the main push-pull rods that connect to the bell crank of the flaperons hit the fuselage tubing at any reasonable deflection or when pulling in flaps.

I cant find anything specific on this dimension. Anyone else run across this issue? If I try to use flaps the rods will bind against the fuselage, forget any aileron movement at that point for sure. Locks up solid. Same on both side of the plane.

I did not do the initial install so unfortunately only have the old manual to go by. Seems like there was a pre-placed pilot hole that must have been used.

Angle of hinge mount (50 degrees) and positin of flaperon bell crank (1+11/16 from bottom flap edge)have been verified.

Do you guys see anything obvious?

Flap hitting fuselage:

Relation of bell crank in neutral flying position:

Relation of hardware to trailing edge.

Larry S.

Default Re: Flaperon install - Binding push-pull tubes and interference when folding. Model

Hey Larry,

I just went through an extensive rebuild on my type III, which entailed installing a new cabin top and splicing in new tubing from the lower part of the fuselage. I too had a little interference with the fuselage-to-flapperon bearing mount. I chose to remove those bearings and fabricate a new design, which works for me.

It looks like your problem is much more acute than mine which begs the question, Was there extensive fuselage repair work done to your airplane?

My airplane is 20 miles away, but I'll be glad to get measurements if they'll help. Just let me know what you need.

Good Luck,
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

Default Re: Flaperon install - Binding push-pull tubes and interference when folding. Model

I wonder if it would help to add a little more wing dihedral?
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Don't know if this will help but when I bought my Model 3, the flap handle had a mark on the tubing next to the handle about 3/4 of the way to full flap deployment. The flap handle had to line up with that mark in order to fold the wings and not bind or hit something with the flapperons. I was never sure if all model 3s had to do this to fold the wings or just mine.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks for the feedback on this.

Actually it is a new kit construction (started by someone else). All tubing looks straight and both side are identical. Not sure if dihedral would effect much in the root area, however did double check it was at 1 degree.

I can live with the folding issue if I need to, but the rod binding (both sides) is a real concern (upper fuselage green tube to gray push pull rod) shown in the pic. Obviously I can mod the rods, but very hesitant to do so until I investigate more.

What is a typical clearance, however, between the vertical flaps and fuselage tubing when folded? I have been disconnecting the flaps to fold, so even if they could rotate them, it woudn't be successful (though it did initially try it).

A fellow here finished a Model II a few years ago and had the same problem with the aileron control rods hitting the fuselage tubing. He isn't in town any longer but his kitfox is still sitting at the airport. I took a look today to see what I could see. You probably should talk with someone that actually has built an early model Kitfox to get confirmation that this is truly a good fix.

ON the left side it looks like he shortened the solid block that connects the control tube to the flaperon horn and drilled a new hole for the top bolt. You can see the notch in the top of the block where he cut it at the bolt hole.

It appears this allows the control rod to move up further as the stick is deflected so that it just clears the fuselage tube as it moves back.

I couldn't tell if the right side block has been shortened. The distance between the bolts center to center on the left universal block is 3/8 in. The right side universal block bolts are 3/4 in. center to center.

Left side, note the notch in the top of the block where it appears to have been cut and new hole drilled further down.
    Model II aileron universal 1.jpg

Full right stick, flap handle full down.
    Model II aileron universal 2.jpg

Full right stick, flap handle full up.
    model II aileron universal 3.jpg
    Last edited by t j; 08-03-2015 at 02:38 PM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Great stuff there Tom. Thanks for taking the time to check and posting the pics. Glad to see (I think) that I am not the only one.

Thinking about this some more. I wouldn't make any modification to the control parts just yet and wait a bit to see if someone knowledgeable of the early kitfox control system knows why this happens. It could be some simple thing with how the parts are installed.

This control system is quite different than the later models most of us are familiar with.

I should point out that the kitfox in my photos above also had the problem with flaperon clearance over the fuselage when folding the wings. It seems he had to lift the wing as if to flex it a little to get the wings folded if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by t j; 08-04-2015 at 06:03 AM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thanks for the feedback. Yep, will be in a holding pattern as I try to learn more on this.

Hi Larry,
    I was at the hangar today and took a few pictures of my flaperon control arms for a comparison point. For some reason, the left one has much less clearance, but does not hit anything through the full range of motion. It gets closest to the seat belt attachment point.

I did have clearance issues with the original lower bearing supports when folding the wings, so I cut them off and went with a hinged type closer to the Model IV standard. I do not have clearance issues with the tube at the back of the turtle deck.

Let me know if any further measurements or pictures would be helpful.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med