Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bungee

Default Re: Bungee

WOW! 211 Young Eagles flown? That's fantastic!

I ordered bulk 3/8" bungee today and will likely be trying the "safety wire" method of securing the loops since I hadn't found any large nicopress sleeves. Since I have a co-owner of the plane the method will have to meet his approval too so we'll likely do some pulling around on the loops to see that they're really secure. I'd almost think too tight with the safety wire, possibly trying to cut the cord, would be as bad as too loose.

Thanks

Lynn

I have made several bungees, simply used the waxed rib lacing cord, works a treat.
    Tom

Note taken on using rib-lacing cord instead of safety wire to secure the bungee loops. I must say, it seems that the rib-lacing cord might have a lesser possibility of damaging the bungee than the safety wire. Another member of our EAA chapter just finished rib lacing his Kitfox wings, so maybe he has enough left over cord to do the 4 loops.

Thanks to everyone for making suggestions and offering input on the topic!

Lynn

Here's my home made bungee story.

I used round rib lacing cord to wrap a couple bungee loops. One I wrapped the bungee while it was slack. I then put the loop over a pipe in my bench vise, put one foot up on the edge of the bench and pulled as hard as I could. The bungee slipped through the wrap.

I wrapped another loop with the Bungee loop stretched. This one passed my pull test. You need about 5 or 6 inches extra length on each end of the bungee so you can clamp it in a vise. Then hook a come a long in the loop and stretch it tight and hold it there while you wrap the loop.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Quote Originally Posted by lake_harley View Post
    Note taken on using rib-lacing cord instead of safety wire to secure the bungee loops......
    I have plenty of cord.

Yes you need to stretch bungee to wrap cord, otherwise it will pull out. I just clamped in vice then tied a rope thru the loop to something solid with a couple of sheep shank knots (truckie hitches)stretch it out, then wrap. Tom

I did mine by carefully clamping the cord in a vice and made a mark on the cord that was two inches from the end of the loop. I then used a scissor jack against the vice and attached to the loop to stretch the loop until the mark was four inches from the end of the loop. Then I very tightly wrapped about 8 turns of .040 safety wire around the bungees at the mark, being careful to bury the ends so they wouldn't get caught on anything or come unwrapped. Then I backed off the jack and took the bungee out of the vice, trimmed the end and went on to the next one.

Each loop took about two minutes, and came out GREAT.