Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large cargo pod

Default Large cargo pod

Hey folks I have been thinking of making a large cargo pod similar to the ones we see on the super cubs and such. I have been working with composite materials for years for an aircraft company and realized i would like to have one of these for the Kit Fox but not thrilled about the $5k they cost, not to mention I have yet to see one for the Kit Fox. Coming from a larger aircraft to the Kit Fox I realized how much miss the extra bagged area i had in the past for camping gear fuel snow boards etc.

If there is enough interest i will certainly build cheaply for the Kit Fox group. I already have the materials and just about everything together just need the time. I priced out aluminum vs Fiber Glass vs carbon fiber. I will build the first out of fiber glass because of the cost of messing it up but would like to build it out of carbon fiber eventually. I have a guy that can sell me the carbon at a reasonable rate but not everyone will be able to justify the cost vs weight. Ill keep you guys posted. Thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Something similar adapted to the Kit Fox.

http://forum.bearhawkgroups.com/view...4c25076c4114e0

Default Re: Large cargo pod

We've become interested in a larger cargo pod than the bullet also. I like the idea of carbon fiber but am too cheap I suspect. We were thinking, maybe facetiously, that minimum interior dimensions should be two small bags of golf clubs, which would probably happen more often than camping. Whatever, I'm quite interested in following your fiberglass first build. Checked out your link, am unlikely to need to haul 8' lumber, but love the general look and feel of a larger pod. Low and slow is the game in any case, so if the gear could be slung underneath, then the baggage compartment could be home to the miniature schnauzer. He loves it there now, but we arrive with toothbrushes only.

This is of definite interest to me. The STC and 5K for the Bearhawk one not so much. I only have a kitfox IV so don't need a overly big one, but a tent, sleeping bag and duffle would be great.

What models do you guys fly?

1996 Kitfox IV Speedster. Grove gear. Check out my photo album for a sense of it.

Carbon Concepts builds a nice Cargo Pod for the Carbon Cub. https://www.facebook.com/carbonconce...99654670158301
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Here is a really neat video of the bag Vacuum infusion of the first Utila Pod.

https://video-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hv...5b&oe=55E49E8F
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Paul,
    That link for the infusion video doesn't seem to work for me.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

It is off of their Facebook page, the post is April 18th. https://www.facebook.com/carbonconce...ref=ts&fref=ts
    Last edited by Paul Z; 08-31-2015 at 07:27 PM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Thanks! Found it. A well done infusion can produce optimally strong and light parts. A large Kitfox version would be sweet.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med