Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: trailering a KF long distance

Default Re: trailering a KF long distance

Is everyone's auto insurance covering your hauled load? Or aircraft insurance? Or a separate policy?

USAA Auto Insurance here
    Lou
    KitFox II

I supported mine similar to Jim Chuk's. But I used a trailer ball and fabricated my own support. Worked great, no stress on the tailwheel. HIGHLY recommend not letting it rest on the tailwheel. Wasn't designed for that stress, plus have heard many horror stories of the fuse actually deforming under the stress.
    Denny
    Attached Images Attached Images

For the tandem axle trailer guys you could let some air out of the trailer tires, such a light load I bet 26 lbs instead of 32 you wouldn't notice much squat in the tires
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

hummmm....but stress on frame...i love more to put stress on tailwheel..it is desing for landing...

Sorry for the late post & thank you all for your ideas & suggestions. At the suggestion of a friend we took it apart & hauled it inside a U-Haul truck. We strapped (hung) the wings to the side walls and braced the fuselage, using binders to prevent any shifting. The advantage of this mode of tpt (over ferrying it) is that you can drive day and night (which we did) in all wx conditions. From Vancouver Island to Southern Ontario could have taken weeks of ferry flying if the wx doesn't co-operate (which then becomes an adventure if you're retired) but it was only 54 hours of driving for us. This was probably cheaper than flying if you include hotels, meals, gas & misc. incidentals.
    Thanks again gents.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Jfquebec View Post
    hummmm....but stress on frame...i love more to put stress on tailwheel..it is desing for landing...
    Problem with resting it on the tailwheel is you now have the weight of the wings on that tail wheel as well. Try to lift the back of the plane when the wings are folded, you will be surprised to see how heavy it is compared to before you folded the wings. The rear two mounting points for the factory built tow hitch were designed to take the weight of towing the plane. Using the rear attachment point as I've done many times, keeps the weight off the tailspring as well, which wasn't designed to take the weight of the folded wings bouncing up and down. I've pulled Avids and Kitfoxes close to 3000 miles total supported like my pictures show with no damage. Jim Chuk

You are right ..it is more heavy with the wing back..

Jf