Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Poly-Fiber Enamel

Default Poly-Fiber Enamel

Wondering if anyone has used or has experience with Poly-Fiber enamel (either the original or Mark II). Thanks in advance.

Rick

Default Re: Poly-Fiber Enamel

Rick,

I ruled out both for my project in favor of Aerothane.

The enamel, which is an alkyd based product like the old car enamels, is not compatible with polytac used in fabric application.

The Mark II is not flexible enough to work on fabric.

While both the enamel & Mark II will make a nice glossy finish, the utility of either is pretty much limited to hard surfaces, not fabric. They do come in the same colors as Aerothane and polytone. I think both of them avoid the isocyanates in their formulation so there is a little less health risk, but a person shouldn't be breathing this stuff either.

You can go to the polyfiber website and get a good description of products, including the ones you are interested in, and their uses.

Sincerely,

Dave S

Thanks Dave. I should have been clearer. I knew they weren't recommended on fabric. I was interested in using them on the flaperons, cowl and other 4130 or aluminum parts. The regular enamels cost is not bad. The Mark II is pricey.
    I am trying to avoid the isocyanates or having to buy a fresh air system. The two sprayer option for Polytone seems like it could be a pain but I'll have to consider it. Thanks again.

Rick

I've been through the enamel ordeal, trying to avoid the toxic paint. My advice is to not waste time and money on it. Just buy the fresh air system and use an automotive urethane. I ended up buying a fresh air system and some good PPG paint from the local auto supplier to paint my gear, flaperons and other metal parts.
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp