Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Best header tank option? Which one? Model-4-1200

Default Best header tank option? Which one? Model-4-1200

Looks like I need to replace the factory polly tank with a metal one, fitted behind the seat. The Kitfox factory makes one, but so does Williams Aviation (the guy that makes the wide body kit). Does anyone have a recommendation for ether one, or another one? Which ones best?
    Note: Williams Aviation offers his with a low fuel sensor, might be helpful.
    Let me know, thanks
    Roger
    Roger

Default Re: Best header tank option? Which one? Model-4-1200

I've recently installed a new header tank behind my passenger seat in my Mk 3. It was supplied by Kitfox and it works well. I don't have the low fuel sensor option but I manage my fuel in other ways.

You need to mount it as low down as you can to avoid it fouling on the fibreglass seat pan. A picture is worth a thousand words... I hope it's useful.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kitfox 4 (1050)
    912UL
    Based in UK

Just curious,
    Does anyone know why Kitfox moved away from the cylindrical aluminium header tank from the earlier models? (eg classic IV)

Jono

The early round tanks were mounted high and behind the baggage sacks. Relocating to current position allows better air purging, more direct downward fuel flow and provides the lowest point in the fuel system for sumping water contamination along with a settling resivoir for debris that might get into the fuel system. Just a couple reasons that might have prevoked the relocation from the older systems.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Ok, I ended up ordering the behind the seat header tank from Williams Aviation, mostly because his unit came with an integrated low-level sensor. Also, it was cheaper...
    Roger

Nice one. You'll be able to make a bigger rear baggage sack now!
    Kitfox 4 (1050)
    912UL
    Based in UK

Roger, does the Williams tank have a sump drain port on the very bottom? How do you install an access hole thru the bottom fabric? The Kitfox tank comes with an oversize boss on the bottom that perfectly fits a short piece of radiator hose that also perfectly fits over an aluminum bellmouth piece that is bonded to the fabric. Makes a very nice airtight access to the quick drain fitting. All these pieces are included with the Kitfox tank kit.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Williams Aviation has changed their design some, from the one on his web page. He added a bottom drain valve, and all connections are via threaded fittings. I guess I will more about mounting when I get it...
    My model 2 had a gasolator behind the seat, that had a drain valve projecting though the fabric. Not the best of designs, leaked a bit on the fabric too.
    Roger