Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Setting wing twist

Default Setting wing twist

Hello,

I have a question about setting the wing twist and am wondering if anyone else has seen this. The bulders manual for my Series V says to measure the distance between the level when it's level on the rear spar. But the gap I have is between the level and the front spar not the rear spar. I've double checked the level of the fuselage and everything else for the rigging seems to be good. I'm perplexed with this and am not sure what to do at this point. Can anyone tell me if they have run into this issue and what they have done to get past it?

Thanks for any help and suggestions, Rick

Default Re: Setting wing twist

I'm going by the SS7 instruction manual, but I believe they should be similar. With the fuselage leveled both longitudinally and laterally, you place a 4' level touching the underside of the front spar and level the level. Then you measure the gap from the top of the level to the underside of the rear spar. You do this at 3" from the root of the wing, then again at 159" from the root. The gap must be 1/2" more at the 159" point than at the 3" point in order to have proper wing twist. Proper twist (washout) raises the wing trailing edge 1/2" higher at the wingtip; this reduces the wing AOA on the outer sections of the wings so they don't stall as soon as the inner sections. Gives a nice, gentle, progressive stall as it moves from root to tip.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: Setting wing twist

Hi Jim, I think I found the problem. Something moved and the fuselage wasn't quite level, plus the front spars were not setting on the spar carry-thru posts, so I was not getting a good level measurement. I've been pretty aprehensive about the wing rigging process but it appears to be good now. I'll take my time and make sure everything is good before I drill. Thanks again!