Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jury strut fairings

Default Jury strut fairings

Anyone done the Jury Strut fairings? Just looking for suggestions, pics, ideas. I have the plastic clamp on ones and I was messing around with them to see how best to put them on. I have had them for years as a friend gave them to me and finally getting around to putting them on. They don't clamp tight on the tubing. I sliced a piece of 3/8" vinyl tubing and wrapped it around the jury strut tubing and it appears to be the perfect size now for the channel in the fairing. If I think about it, I'll take some pics. I guess the other questions is....is it even worth putting them on? I have seen the video and know how much drag is created by round tubing but I wonder if it's even worth the effort for the amount of jury strut.
    Last edited by Jerrytex; 03-06-2017 at 04:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Jury strut fairings

I would like to see a pic of those and wondering where a guy buys them?

Not sure where to buy these. They are molded as one piece and you slice the trailing edge open to get it around the tubing.

I'll probably use some marine adhesive to hold them on and then just fill the spaces with something. Paint and call it good. They are super light.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jerrytex; 03-07-2017 at 04:24 PM.

Challenger aircraft supplies these with their kits. Quad City Aircraft.

They sell them in 5 ft pieces for $33.96, so I ordered one to see how it'll work with the horizontal stabilizer supports.

They are designed for 1/2 inch tubing, but their customer support believes it'll work up to 3/4 inch.
    Dustin
    915is/AP430 powered Kitfox SS7

Let us know how it works out on the horizontal stab support.

Does anybody know what material they are made from?
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I used them on my horizontal stab brace and tho tight I didn't have to split them like I did for 2 of the three rods on the jury struts that I faired. I just slid them on with a little water for lube. Once dry, a dab or two epoxy on either end and a little Super-fil, scuff and paint..... These plastic fairings were a pain to cut accurately on the trailing edge but Super-fil to the rescue!!! There were some molding ridges that I carefully sanded smooth before splitting - nothing more coarse than 150 grit....... open coat.... I think they turned out great - I'll post a pic later.
    Last edited by RadialFox7; 05-02-2017 at 05:01 PM.

I discovered that using a piece of split 3/8" clear vinyl tubing to make up the thickness on the jury struts will work. The fairings definitely are hard to cut accurately and the superfil is a good idea that I hadn't thought about. Guess I was concerned that it wouldn't stick to the plastic and also the possibility of cracking?

Is there a website for ordering? Or do you have to call?

Anyone see any improvements? The horz. stab struts are at least worth doing I think.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Has anyone found a source for plastic fairings similar to the Quad City ones, but sized for the 3/8" jury strut tubing? I am putting the Quad City fairings on my horizontal stab struts, but think they are just too big for the jury struts.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS