Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 17 of 66 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

Carl,
    My kit was delivered just before yours I think and it had a small bottle (maybe 1-2oz) of touch up paint as well. I also have used Stewart System primer/paint and it matches really well. I can send you the colors or a picture/part# of the touch up paint if you need it.

Brett,
    Building SS7
    mykitlog.com/bholland/

The Kitfox touch up paint was back ordered when the initial kit was delivered. I had forgotten and Debra is sending a bottle with the Firewall Forward Kit.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Fokker Red Oratex. Fabric has been initially attached to the bottom side of the elevator. After heat activation, the glue requires several hours to completely bond. At that point, a heat gun or iron is used to shrink the fabric. Glue is drying on horizontal stabilizer pieces in the foreground.

There is absolutely no odor, even sticking your nose right up to the bottle of glue. The glue applies beautifully with sponge brushes and, for quick jobs, brush can be cleaned with water.

I know the Oratex fabric doesn't appeal to everyone. But I have no experience with a spray rig and appreciate the time savings of this covering system.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Really like the red you've chosen Carl. I think there are pro's and con's for whatever covering system you use. Whatever suits the builder is good.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Hey Carl, I found a reasonably priced 6AWG crimper on Amazon. Pro'sKit CP-251B Ratcheted Crimper for Non-Insulated Terminals, AWG 22-6. There is one costing slight less even.
    Eddie

When I needed to crimp connectors on my heavy battery and starter cables I just cut them all to length and strpped the insulation and then took the whole mess of them to my local battery/electrical auto shop and they crimped the connectors on for very few dollars.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Talking Re: First, Build a Shed

I considered that too but inevitably Im bound to come across some other cable that I was not aware of. I like tools too.

The local Interstate battery store was what I had in mind. But this is a small town and "building an airplane" is an interesting story. Meant to mention this approach on the "Root Plugs" thread.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Milestone today - the vertical stabilizer covering is completed. The elevator was finished a few days ago. But finishing the stabilizer has been a goal since Gary posted a photo of a red stabilizer on his "Turtle Build" thread. "EFWD Build" and "John's Build" also have nice photos of Oratex work.

I get a chuckle out of the "Cover a Rudder in 90 Minutes" video Oratex has on YouTube. It does show the process but completely ignores the recommended glue dry times between steps. Working on the elevator and stabilizer in parallel gave me enough "fabric time" and planning the electrical system filled in project time.

Rudder next then, after dealing with curves, I suspect the long wing panels will seem simple.

Brett Holland, a forum member, and his wife Cathy were in the area and dropped by for a visit. Really nice to compare projects with him.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

The kits change over the years and my "June 2016" model has a couple of fairly new touches. The welded tab for mounting the trim indicator was mentioned in an earlier post. I recently learned this "Hmmm, seems like a great place to mount an ELT" is fairly new as well. You can see the tip of the ELT antenna peeking up behind the radio. There is a pre-drilled antenna mounting plate in just the right spot.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X