Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to remove Hysol from spar and ribs?

Default How to remove Hysol from spar and ribs?

Due to a critters nest in one of the wings, I'm going to replace the front spar because of corrosion. I'm trying to remove the ribs where they hysol to the spar. I've been using a small chiesel, but it's taking hours to do 4 false ribs. I tried a heat gun I have for shrinking monocoat on model planes. I didn't have any luck at all with the heat. I got it hot enough that it discolored one of the false ribs. The hysol never did get soft..........am I doing something wrong? I just read where someone used a hair dryer. Perhaps I'm getting to much heat for a short period of time with the heat gun. Do I need less heat for a longer period? Will the heat soften the hysol, or will it just allow the bond between the hysol and the spar to break loose? Any ideas? I'm open to suggestions. Thanks
    Brian

Default Re: How to remove Hysol from spar and ribs?

I have not had to remove Hysol but I understood that heat gun would soften it. Remember that the spar is going to be a huge heat sink. So if your applying the hot airflow directly in the Hysol you'll likely burn wood while the aluminum is not heating up and therefore not softening the Hysol immediately in contact with it. See if heating the aluminum adjacent to the Hysol will improve your situation.. maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    I have not had to remove Hysol but I understood that heat gun would soften it. Remember that the spar is going to be a huge heat sink. So if your applying the hot airflow directly in the Hysol you'll likely burn wood while the aluminum is not heating up and therefore not softening the Hysol immediately in contact with it. See if heating the aluminum adjacent to the Hysol will improve your situation.. maybe?
    Tried that, didn't have any luck. I think after dinner, I'll go out and try it again. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Tried it again. This time I kept the gun pointed to the spar only, about an inch from the rib. After a minute or less the hysol started to get a little soft and with a very small screw driver I'm able to peel it up. Works about 100 better then what I was doing before.
    Thanks
    Brian

Thanks for posting the solution. Mike

When you're removing the Hysol with a screwdriver, be careful not to gouge the aluminium spar. If you do make any scratches, suggest you use scotch brite (forgotten the number but I think it's maroon in colour) to carefully remove them, and then only by scrubbing along the spar, not circumferentially.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Quote Originally Posted by David47 View Post
    When you're removing the Hysol with a screwdriver, be careful not to gouge the aluminium spar. If you do make any scratches, suggest you use scotch brite (forgotten the number but I think it's maroon in colour) to carefully remove them, and then only by scrubbing along the spar, not circumferentially.
    Good Point, DON"T USE A SCREWDRIVER, In my case it's ok, because this spar is being replaced and will never be used. Anyone reading this in the future, and they're going to be using the spar, perhaps using a piece of wood sanded in the shape of a chisel. Don't use anything that could mark, scratch, or damage your spar in anyway.

Grab a handful of the large paint stir sticks from your local HD/Lowes aviation dept. Cut them to preferred length, add bevel if desired. Worked for me.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Harbor Freight had a set of plastic "pry bars" that I have used when I am scrapping or prying on something I do not want to scratch.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

I'll bet Harbor Freight has sold more stuff for building airplanes than ACS, ATS, Leaf, etc. all combined-LOL. Great place for stuff you only use occasionally.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS