Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: dle's Oz Build

Default Re: dle's Oz Build

This weekend consisted of finishing off some loose ends and doing a control system friction “audit”.

First off, both the rudder fibre glass LE and the fin TE were bonded in place. There was quite a bit of work that went into finishing these parts to the point of bonding, so it was nice to finally see them attached. I made a much better job of the rudder LE hinge and stop arm cutouts than I did with the fin TE fairing. Just need to not get so excited when using the Dremel, which is a must for this kind of work.

Bonded all the rudder cable ferrules in place after cleaning up the holes with a fine file. This is a messy job as I tended to get adhesive inside some of them so had to use a 3” nail poked through in order to get rid of it.

From last week, I was concerned about the amount of friction I had in the aileron and elevator control circuits, particularly the latter. So I disconnected all actuation rods and checked both elevator idler arms and the aileron bell crank for free rotation. I also checked the control stick cross tube mounting and found a minor amount in the nylon bearing. I loosened off the bolts attaching the nylon block a bit (thanks Jim, Josh and Carl) and that helped. However, the elevator idler arms, in particular had excessive friction so I disassembled both idler arms, re-sanded the bolts, re-reamed the bushes, applied more grease to the bolts and assembled all together. Both idlers now swing freely without any bolt rotation. I did the same for the aileron bell crank and reassembled. Same result. At the same time as friction reduction, I also swapped out all nyloc nuts and bolts at each rotating joint and replaced with shank drilled bolts, castellated nuts and cotter pins.

Without the elevator attached, the amount of friction in the elevator system was considerably reduced, to the point where you could move the control stick with insignificant force. Same result for the aileron. With the elevator attached however, there was a marked increase in friction, although not quite as bad as I had before sorting the idlers. I know this is, in part, due to fitup whereby either the elevator or stabilizer has a slight bow in the spar as I had to lever the two together a tad to get them to align last week. I haven't tried it yet but I suspect some of that will disappear when I grease the hinge point bearings and bolts. Fingers crossed.

Finally, I temporarily attached the main landing gear leg as I’ll need the main and tail wheel gears on to move the fuselage to another shed for painting. What impressed me was the alignment of the gear blocks and the fuselage mounting tubes. I checked the fit of the bolts in both block sets and then in the fuselage mounting tubes independently after reaming the tubes per the manual. To my pleasant surprise the bolts aligned beautifully in all components ( i.e. both blocks and the tubes). Given that the fit of the bolt in each component was a running fit, and only needed a minor amount of tapping with a soft mallet to get everything pulled up, that’s good effort to get such accurate positional tolerancing. Looks to me as though the fuselage weldment jig and the mounting block drill jigs could have been match drilled, which would be a sensible thing to do for such a critical joint. Regardless of how this was achieved, I “dips me hat” to Kitfox for a top effort.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David
    SS7 Builder

Good progress Dave! I admire your patience taking out all the bolts etc but I know this was really annoying you and you would probably never be happy not knowing where the friction was coming from.

Now you have the gear on I bet you cant resist the tyres and tailwheel next weekend!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Nice work David. I know what its like having the binding. Tonight I had to remove my rudder cross tubes to get at the bushings. PIA. But, my rudders were sticking and it seemed to be getting worse over time. Not sure if temperature changes were the culprit. Anyhow, took the bushings to the drill press and spun them up and shaved some diameter off and polished them up with some 1500 grit sand paper. Work great now.
    Eddie

Thanks Ross and Eddie. The time taken to sort these binding issues was well worth it. I probably should have paid more attention to this when I was first fitting them up.

Eddie, my rudder cross tubes are also in my sights for the same reason. Maybe the binding in these rudder bearings is due to temperature change. I have some replacement bearings coming my way from Kitfox shortly - that's another story - but I may subject them to temperature variation and see if there is any discernible diameter change.

And yes Ross, the main tyres and tail wheel gear are next in line !.
    David
    SS7 Builder

A short work weekend this time. Only spent a day on the project because of family commitments and besides, it was quite cold - that is for us here in Australia. I’ve spent the last couple of weeks welding up the jigs for the wing build so they're now finished and ready to go. I bought a laser alignment level and a distance measuring laser so these I can use for setting up the wing jigs and also, I assume, for levelling the fuselage when marrying up the front and rear spar strut attachment fittings.

In order to build the wings, I needed the fuselage out of the way so I temporarily attached the main and tail wheel gear and parked it beside where the wings will be built. Something I noticed when bolting the axles to the spring gear was that the bolts are a good two grip lengths short. There are no thread protrusions beyond the nylon so I’ll be getting longer bolts. Anyone have the same issue ?. Also, I’d like some advice on where I can get some wheel caps. At the moment, the axle and outer bearing are open to taking in dust and grit so I’d like to get a set of wheel caps to provide some protection. Any advice really appreciated.

At the moment, I’m guessing about 3 months to build both wings, excluding covering. That may sound tight to some folks but I’m working at this project about 50 to 60 hours per month on a regular basis. At the moment, actual hands on with the fuselage and empennage has taken about 160 hours or so. I’m basing my wing estimates on that experience. End of September I’ll either be grinning ear to ear, or crawling under a rock …

Now all I need to do is build couple of wings to the “Brandon Standard” and I’ll be a happy camper !.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David
    SS7 Builder

Hi Dave - order the hub caps from Kitfox. Either just the hubcaps - in which case you will have to cut off some of the axle. Or order the Kitfox axle logos and then you just have to cut a hole and screw them on.

In India at the moment so smiled at the cold comments!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Dave, the manual calls out two different length bolts (and my kit came with both). The longer bolts are used for the tail dragger configuration.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Thanks Gary. Was wondering why they were so short. I'll check my kit again.

Ross, yep cold here. Wearing a beanie and a hiviz jumper while working in the shed.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Quote Originally Posted by colospace View Post
    Dave, the manual calls out two different length bolts (and my kit came with both). The longer bolts are used for the tail dragger configuration.
    David,

I think Gary's talking about the bolts that mount the gear to the fuselage, and you're talking about the ones for the axles to gear. Correct?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Correct John. Checked the gear kit and can't find any longer bolts so will have to order.
    David
    SS7 Builder