Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to flaperons

Default Re: New to flaperons

Yes it is a nice looking Kitfox. Seen it somewhere before but can't place it. Distinctive paint scheme. Enjoy the heck out of it.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Yes it is a nice looking Kitfox. Seen it somewhere before but can't place it. Distinctive paint scheme. Enjoy the heck out of it.

Yes...should look familiar. Both of the previous owners posted regularly on this site. Two owners ago the plane was in the USA, then purchased and brought up here to Canada.
    Started its life with a 582, then a 912 and now has the 912S.

Based on your description, and because your plane sounds a lot like mine was, be careful doing flaps-off stalls. If your flaperons are set so far as to be spilling off lift one or both wings will stall prematurely and potentially could be violent enough to cause a sudden, unexpected spin entry.

Now hopefully that isn't the case. But I'd feel bad if I didn't share that with you and you had to learn that the hard way

Nice looking Kitfox. I love the less than common paint colors.

Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post
    Wade,

My model 4 did exactly what yours does, until I set my flaperons properly. Essentially your flaperons as currently set are trimming the nose up, and possibly even spilling off some lift if set so far as to be somewhat reflexed.

When mine was set like that I noticed some instability (indicative of flap reflex) when the handle was all the way down. To fix mine I trimmed the elevator so it was neutral in flight, and then set the flaperon handle where I had the highest cruise speed, which also is where the airplane flew the flattest. I then landed without moving anything (flaps or elevator trim), measured the flaperon angle with an electronic angle device, and then adjusted the flaperons so the handle was all the way down when the flaperons were at the same angle position previously measured.

My net result? My Kitfox 4 flies flat and fast when flaps are off and elevator trim is neutral. And my flaps work exceptionally well for adding lift for takeoff, or for flying at reduced speeds. And they also work pretty good for helping increase my descent. But slips still provide a steeper descent. So I typically use 1/2 flap for takeoffs and landings. If I'm really needing to get in and out short, I will use as much as full flap for takeoff and landing, but I keep a close eye on things, as full flaps does reduce roll control some.

I've been flying Avids and Kitfoxes since 1986, and personally really like flaperons. But they have to be set properly to be most effective. Hopefully this will help you to get yours adjusted. Once you do you are going to absolutely love that Model 4. They are one sweet flying machine...

Paul
    In which hole is the elevator mounted in your mod 4, the upper or the lower one?

Greets,
    Tuna

Quote Originally Posted by Spook712 View Post
    In which hole is the elevator mounted in your mod 4, the upper or the lower one?

Greets,
    Tuna
    I wish I could tell you which slot mine is in, but unless I take my tail fairings off I can't see where that is. I looked through old pics from my photo file hoping I could find something showing it pre tail fairings, but no luck. Sorry.

Mine is mounted in the top hole, giving the most "nose up" position.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

If we are talking about which hole the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer is mounted in, the top hole trims the airplane nose most down.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

You are correct. I'm thinking of my project plane where the adjustment is on the h-stab, not the airframe.

My yellow plane has the stab located with the leading edge at he lowest position to create the most nose up trim.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos