Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ELT recommendations

Default ELT recommendations

It's been too cold to work on the airplane, so I've been going over items that still need to be done. I got to thinking about an ELT. I didn't recall seeing one in the aircraft! Duh! That needs to be fixed! I did some reading today and yes, it needs an ELT. But what's the best way to go. The regs say what you can't do, but what should you use? And on a model IV, where is the best place to mount the darn thing. I guess as this is a new install after 1995, it has to be 406 doesn't it?

Default Re: ELT recommendations

I think the 406 ACK is the best deal.
    Mount inside alongside the baggage area.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I agree. Mine works fine located there on my SS7.

Dick B

I saw that one advertised at Wicks and Spruce. A little expensive to say the least. If I were flying in Alaska, or anywhere with any kind of wilderness, I'm sure it's worth it's weight in gold. Here in Indiana, the flattest place on earth, it's hard to get out of sight of humanity. I'm looking for reasonable safety with a reasonable price. I thought that 406mhz would have come down a lot by now. I'm really starting to wonder about the builder now. How did he get away with not installing an ELT in the first place? Did the inspector think he would always be in training within 50 miles of his home airport?

I bought a standard ELT and put money into a SPOT devise, I can use this anywhere as long as I can activate it.

I got the ACK E-04 and think it is the best value for a 406 ELT. It is one of the least expensive 406 ELTs including the cost of the replacement battery ($/yr). It doesn't have a built in GPS, but you can input GPS data to it via a RS-232 wire.

I mounted mine in the tail because of my heavy engine. It's a tight fit behind the trim jackscrew, but it does fit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    I got the ACK E-04 and think it is the best value for a 406 ELT. It is one of the least expensive 406 ELTs including the cost of the replacement battery ($/yr). It doesn't have a built in GPS, but you can input GPS data to it via a RS-232 wire.

I mounted mine in the tail because of my heavy engine. It's a tight fit behind the trim jackscrew, but it does fit.
    I would highly recommend putting in the remote ELT switch. If you have a non emergency hard landing you may be pressed to remove the fairing to reset the ELT. I had a bad landing in a cross wind and mine was behind the seat, it was a Pain in the rear trying to figure out the best way to open the baggage area to hit the reset switch.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I believe all new installations require an indicator/switch in front of or visible to the pilot. I am near certain that was true circa 2003 when we completed our S6.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

My Kitfox SLSA 2009 did not come with one. I have since added it.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

This is how I mounted mine to the fuselage tubing to the rear of the baggage compartment. The ELT and Com antennas are mounted in the vertical stab and the switch is on the instrument panel. The tubing clamps are made of steel.
    Attached Images Attached Images