Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas STOL Roundup

Default Texas STOL Roundup

I thought I'd start a new thread regarding the Texas STOL Roundup <http://www.texasstolroundup.org/> being held in Llano, Texas April 10, 11, 12, 2015.

It looks like a neat event on our side of the world and within reach of my puddle jumper.

Right now I'm making plans to go, and have a room at the Best Western.

I'll probably leave a few days early and spend a couple of days in Houston visiting some of my friends, and then head on over.

Anyone interested in making it a gaggle of KF's let me know at cgruby@gmail.com.

Cheers,
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

Default Re: Texas STOL Roundup

I missed the first Texas STOL Roundup, but this year I've already got a room in Llano (it is pronounced: Lan Oh). There are not many hotels in Llano, there are a fews Bed & Breakfast. It is a small country town, in the Texas Hill Country. You need to book rooms ASAP if you want a room, they will have Camping at the Airport. They ask that you bring tie downs for you plane.

I plan on flying down there either Thursday or Friday mornings from the Dallas Area. If I go down Thursday I am staying at Gillespie County Airport T82 near Fredericksburg, Tejas and spend Thursday night there, they have a really neat Hanger Hotel.

Friday morning I plan on flying over to see Enchanted Rock (16710 Ranch Rd 965, Fredericksburg TX) is an enormous pink granite pluton rock formation located in the Llano Uplift approximately 15 miles (24 km) north of Fredericksburg, Texas and 15 miles (24 km) south of Llano. Enchanted Rock State Natural Area, which includes Enchanted Rock and surrounding land, spans the border between Gillespie County and Llano County, south of the Llano River. Enchanted Rock covers approximately 640 acres (260 ha) and rises approximately 425 feet (130 m) above the surrounding terrain to elevation of 1,825 feet (556 m) above sea level. It is the largest such pink granite monadnock in the United States.

http://www.texasstolroundup.org/
    2015 APRIL 10,11,12
    LLANO AIRPORT KAQO
    image.jpg
    Last edited by Paul Z; 01-03-2015 at 08:54 AM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I mentioned the Hanger Hotel, see attached website.
    http://www.hangarhotel.com/hotel.htm

I also mentioned Enchanted Rock, they have Cabins & Camping, a really nice State Park. When you drive to it you drive through a Private Owners Ranch. The Roads all have Cattle Guards to keep the Cattle in. It is South West of Llano, about 16 miles, about 1/2 way to Fredericksburg, Tejas.
    http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/enchanted-rock
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Great! I did not know about this but will definitely attend - thanks for the info.

Pass the word around!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Just loooooove your country😘
    Wish we'd had these fly-in's as well.....
    Have fun, you hear!!

Quote Originally Posted by HansLab View Post
    Just loooooove your country😘
    Wish we'd had these fly-in's as well.....
    Have fun, you hear!!
    HansLab,
    Go to your Airport, and ask them if you could coordinate a STOL Flyin. Never hurts to ask, and you might start something!

Paul
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I was at the Texas STOL Roundup last year. I don't recall any other Kitfoxes there. I camped out and drank beer and met some new friends. I think a well flown Kitfox could make a good showing. Hope to see more of you guys show up. It's only 60 miles from me.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

That sounds like quite an itinerary. Might join you. The hanger motel, how does that work? BTW, what ever you do, don't miss Cooper's BBQ in Llano, it's got to rank up there with the best.

Cheers,
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

The Hanger Hotel is an old WW2 Style Hanger turned into a Hotel. My sister lives in San Antonio, I am planning to go down to see her, the fly up to Fredricksburg for the evening, and then head to Llano Friday.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas