Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Esser's Build

Default Re: Esser's Build

Well today we were going to hang the engine so we could start fiddling with the cowl. The only problem is the correct bolts were not on the ring mount. Holy sh*t what a PITA. I now know everyone's pain. What a rubics cube.

I rigged up a ghetto engine mount to hoist it up so we could fiddle.

Daniel sizing up the ring mount.

I'm jealous a Turbo. I can understand the grin on your last picture.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Very Cool Josh! We are definitely on the same page with our project thoughts. Fuel injected and turbocharged is the way to go. Is that a factory header or a handmade unit?
    Kurt A

Kitfox II,
    Rotax 912,
    1100 gross
    Fixer Upper Project

Hey Kurt,

We never ordered the exhaust as we bought this engine used with 75 hours on it. It is a custom ceramic coating but I'm not sure if it is a custom header itself as I am just getting familiar with Rotax engines now.

The guy we bought the engine off of said this was a $5,000 exhaust. I have a hard time believing that number but maybe it is true. All I know is that after shutting down the engine you can put your hand on the exhaust and not burn yourself. It should help with under the cowl temps and performance to a degree.

I'll keep you posted on the fuel injection stuff. We are just getting going on that side of things.

Since it will be a 914iS I think we are going to paint the valve covers orange to make people curious.

Paul, you are right. Daniel's smile was all about the turbo! Coupled with an airmaster prop, this thing should be a blast to fly if we ever get her done! Everything takes longer than you think. The fact that we are still waiting for our inspection to cover is slowing us down too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt.A View Post
    Very Cool Josh! We are definitely on the same page with our project thoughts. Fuel injected and turbocharged is the way to go. Is that a factory header or a handmade unit?
    It is a factory built header. See attached picture of my engine.

The exhaust is bright silver because it was ceramic coated. Cost under $300 at the time I did mine.

I don't think you will ever be putting your hand on the exhaust just after shut down. The exhaust gets very toasty even with the ceramic coating I have on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice header that's for sure. Will have to see how close it would be to bolting onto a 912UL. Is the waste gate full manual? Josh does your EFI system have the capability to run an electronic waste gate controller?
    Kurt A

Kitfox II,
    Rotax 912,
    1100 gross
    Fixer Upper Project

Hi Josh ....what kind of paint did you use for your spar....zink??

War eagle. I guess I should have clarified 5 min after shut down.

Jf, it's the poly fibre primer in green instead of white.

Well today we didn't get as much done as we hoped but did lot of reading.

Started the weekend getting my friend's Daphne's wings on and bled the brakes. Did some taxiing but stayed on the ground.

Pulled off the Ring Mount and painted it.

Put some of the components for the fuel injection system on.

Unpacked the boxes. Everything here weighed 10.5lbs still have to add fuel lines. I havent weighed what we took off yet but seems to me like this will be lighter.

Did some other prep on the fuel injection stuff. Should have most of it on next week and do a trial mount of the engine to start fitting the cowl.

Not too much to report. Go the boot cowl fully fitted and hung the engine. We had a few issues on the engine that took up a lot of our time. It seem like we have been moving very slowly at this point but soon we will be getting in a groove I hope. Going to start bugging the MD-RA to get an inspector out here. We have been waiting a couple months for the inspector so that we can cover.