Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 51 of 87 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Yes Ross, I also used that crossbar to set the angle of my fairings. I think it is as close to correct as you can find, and even if not perfect you will at least have consistency left to right and front to back. Somebody on this forum several years ago went to some ungodly effort to try to set the fairing angle just perfectly with a small amount of lift to help the wing. I can't imagine it could make any measurable difference unless you angled them a lot, but then you would be adding a lot of drag. I think setting them neutral with the airflow is best.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Here are the pictures without the sheet metal fairings, glued in place a little Aircraft Superfill Lightweight Epoxy filler and paint. I think they look a lot better than the Sheet Metal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

That is beautiful. No cloth or anything, just Superfil.

I would imagine he bonded them together with Hysol, then a nice index finger radius with the super fill. I think you can see it in one of the photos. I've seen both a fabric covered, and sheet metal. This just look clean. If you want I'll try to get some better photos.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Default Back into it agian!

After a false re-start ( had to return to Bali for a while), We are back into it. Last two days we have installed the doors and prepared the wing strut fairings for painting - now that is a major masking job for the size of the paint job! Anyway, one more coat and that is done. Waiting on the FWF kit from the US and then it is on to the engine, electrical and avionics installations. Certainly, a learning curve doing the electrical diagrams. Anyway, I hope to get back to regular posts from now. A good incentive is that we have booked to do some flying with S&R in June. And make a visit to the factory of course.

cheers for now

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Default New visitor to the Hanger!

I mentioned that I masked up the plane and prepped the lift strut speed fairings for painting. Well, that was going to be a short one day job, BUT ... the 'special' plastic friendly paint turned out to be rubbish. So, yesterday turned into 'paint stripping and scrubbing plastic clean day'. A messy but necessary job, but it will be worth it in the end to get it right! So, after making a hell of mess in the hanger it was good to hear a approaching plane and see it was a Kitfox! Johnno in his Kitfox 4 that his father built was coming to town for a weekend of gliding. So it was a nice end to an otherwise rubbish day to go for a Kitfox fly - the least I could do was to make room in the hanger and introduce our plane to one of its siblings!

Happy Easter
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Default Transponder

We finally bit the bullet and bought a Mode S Transponder. We settled on a Trig TT21. I like the small, panel-realestate-friendly remote head and light weight body .... and the price (still expensive compared to other non-TSO'd avionics!).

cheers
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Ross, I used Polyfiber Aerothane and it stuck to the PVC fairings without any trouble so far-2.5 years.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks for the tip Jim. I persevered and it appears to have been successful. The key was to use the primer as stated ( thin , single coat) and multiple, thin tip coats. Photo attached of the product - this is the primer and the topcoat is the same brand.

After creating a mess in the hanger removing the old paint I decided to take the plane outside for the first time in the sun. Of course, with Jono's plane sharing the hanger for the weekend, it was a prime photo opportunity! I think we will organise a Fox fly-in her at Mt Beauty later in the year - OZ flyers interested?? (Others welcome too if you want to fit the long range tanks..)

Looking forward to the FWF kit arriving soon - I think I can see a plane coming together now!

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Nice looking planes. You did an outstanding job.

Quote Originally Posted by rosslr View Post
    Thanks for the tip Jim. I persevered and it appears to have been successful. The key was to use the primer as stated ( thin , single coat) and multiple, thin tip coats. Photo attached of the product - this is the primer and the topcoat is the same brand.

After creating a mess in the hanger removing the old paint I decided to take the plane outside for the first time in the sun. Of course, with Jono's plane sharing the hanger for the weekend, it was a prime photo opportunity! I think we will organise a Fox fly-in her at Mt Beauty later in the year - OZ flyers interested?? (Others welcome too if you want to fit the long range tanks..)

Looking forward to the FWF kit arriving soon - I think I can see a plane coming together now!

cheers

ross
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas