Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox model 2 weight and balance

Default Kitfox model 2 weight and balance

Almost complete with my project (rebuild) Kitfox model 2. The plane never came with any weight and balance data, so I have to go off and recreate it. I was wondering what is the CG limits of this model? Is the datum the wing root leading edge like it is on a model 4? is anyone will to email me their weight and balance data sheet so that I can get an idea of what it should be? If so send it to dalords@cablone.net. I will be weighing the plane this weekend.

Default Re: Kitfox model 2 weight and balance

Or anyone who would have a model 2 or 3 construction manual section that went through how to do the center of gravity calculation

The W&B spreadsheets on the Kitfox website (Technical FAQ) should work fine for you. You just have to enter your own data for your specific aircraft, and use the fore and aft CG limits for your specific model. You should be able to get these limits from the factory. The worksheet methods and procedure will work for any airplane.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

That's the problem I am having. Kitfox doesn't have this info. They don't deal with the older models. Yes they have some parts but as for anything else you are pretty much on your own. That's why I would like the info from another model 2 owner

My offering from the build manual of S/N 359
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Lou
    KitFox II

that helped out a lot Lou thanks. It did however bring up some new questions, my plane is tricycle not tail wheel, so how do the guys with nose wheel figure out the most fwd and most aft CG. what's the process for figuring it

I must admit I am new to flying as well as Kitfox. I am not aware the model 2 was ever offered as a tri-gear. I don't know how the difference in the gear would effect the W&B calculations. My fledgling mind reasons the overall calculations would be the same as long as you have the model 2 wings. Again, I am just learning aeronautics. I am confident someone more knowledgeable will chime in on this and set me straight.
    Last edited by KFfan; 01-20-2015 at 06:38 PM.
    Lou
    KitFox II

It wasn't offered in tricycle gear. We also run a rotax 912 engine and have the tail the same size as a model 4. EXPERMENTAL. We have done a lot of modifications. Part of the fun of owning one. what I found interesting is the manual you sent me identifies the MAC and empty weight for a model 1. listing the max gross as 950 rather than 850. We are going back into phase 1 testing and plan on increasing our gross weight to 1000
    Last edited by dalords; 01-20-2015 at 06:35 PM.

I noticed that as well. I'm thinking the kit manufacturer used the manual for the model 1 and made appropriate changes for the model 2 without correcting other references. Saved doing a complete rewrite.
    Lou
    KitFox II

The most fwd and most aft CG depends only on the wing MAC which is given in the manual pages KFfan posted. So it is the same for both nose or tail dragger. So go ahead and use the calculation procedure in those pages.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS