Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Differences...

Default Differences...

I have two Model IVs. I'm pretty familiar with them.

With the introduction of the V, heavier engines (Lycoming & Continental) were more usable. I know the cabins are wider, but here's the question I have for the later model experts: Are the newer planes longer from the cabin to the tail than the earlier ones?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Default Re: Differences...

Im going to guess the fuselage is same in length, but FWF and Rudder are possibly different from 5 thru 7
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

You should be able to answer most of your questions here
    http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/KitfoxHistory.htm

It appears the fuselage for 5 to 7 is the same, but longer than the 4. 7 may have larger tail feathers than the 5 or 6.

I wonder if one of our series 5 members has a tape measure?
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

along with the length question I have always wondered on the model 6 or 7 what is the width of the cockpit at the lower aft door opening. as well as what it the width of the firewall at the widest point? I know that the model 1-4 at the lower aft door openings is 34" in width. We have a model 1 and a friend has a model 4 and I have measured them. where they get the difference is at the stringer that runs down the fuselage about shoulder height. the Model 1at the Dimension (half way up the rear door opening) is 36" and on the model 4 its 39.5. always wondered if the newer models that have a 43" cockpit have the same width at butt area of is it all in the shoulder area. As well as if the firewall is actually wider.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyPirate View Post
    Im going to guess the fuselage is same in length, but FWF and Rudder are possibly different from 5 thru 7
    Haven't done any measuring myself but I would think the firewall forward is longer on the 7 and later models as the engine was moved forward to accommodate the Rotax 100hp version with the airbox mounted on the carbs. There may have been other reasons for the moving the engine forward as well but that is one reason why we changed our build from the Series 6 to the Series 7.

Series 7 also has larger elevator.