Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piloting from the right seat

Default Piloting from the right seat

I was just wondering if any other kitfox pilot's fly from the right seat. I like the idea of having my right hand on the stick and my left on the throttle. Any thoughts about problems? Any info or pics would be cool.

Thanks,
    Eric

Building/covering
    7SS
    Eric Losch
    Building Super Sport
    Taildragger

Default Re: Piloting from the right seat

Had same thought but set mine up conventionally with pilot on left. I have flown it from right also. There is absolutely no problem with transitioning. In a Cessna you fly with the left and throttle with the right. Just not a stick. The controls become second nature pretty much instantly.

If you ever think you might possibly sell it, definitely set it up conventionally. If you want a conversation piece do it the other way. Some have done it pilot on right and like it but its not for me.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

I've never had a problem going from left to right. Such as a cub or decathlon then back to the Kitfox.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

I fly our S7 out of either seat although I have more time in the left seat. I figured I had to do that anyway during Phase I testing since the aircraft has dual controls and the requirement is to test everything anyway. I have brakes on both sides & Throttle is in the center. As far as the flight instruments are concerned - they are centered on the left side but it is an easy glance across the panel plus we all fly VFR primarily by attitude reference anyway (Right?)

As far as transitioning from one side to the other - A person's hands are opposite on the throttle & stick for the right side - a person's fine touch will not be as good at first IMHO because opposite hands, which are not accustomed to it, are used. The site picture is a little different but the big stuff is the same. I wouldn't recommend going out and flying right seat the first time on a day the birds are walking because of the wind. Can't comment on a tailwheel aircraft as ours is a nosewheel.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS WArp Drive

My flying buddy flies a Bearhawk (side by side seating). Last year we flew together quite a bit, with two planes, and one plane, both in my Kitfix and both in his Bearhawk. I've got about 20 hours flying his Bearhawk from the right seat. It wasn't much of a problem getting used to it.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I have flown a cub a couple times. Throttle in left hand and stick in the right was easy enough as long as I had time to think about each maneuver. The cub reacts slower to control inputs than Kitfox does so I thought.."This is easy to switch over to".

Until......I tried a stall with full flaps. As soon as I retracted the flaps the nose pitched down...Kitfox pitches up when flaps are retracted you know...that surprised me and without time to think about what to do my throttle hand and stick hand stall recovery mussle memory took over resulting in some very impressive pilot induced oscillation.

Just beware it may seem easy at first but the conversion takes a few hours doing maneuvers with an instructor to bail you out.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

TJ,

I think there is a lot of wisdom in your comments......Muscles and nerves undergo some kind of "learning"...when we use a different set; ar, use the same ones for a different purpose....it isn't always immediately intuitive.....as you said.....a person has to think about it for a minute.

Dave S

I was so used to my fathers other airplane, called a Q-2 or Quickie 2. That we built when I was a kid. It was a rutan design, canard wing, throttle on left, stick in the center. But our second plane was a Cessna 120, throttle on the right. This was the plane I soloed in on my 16th birthday. Flying fighter simulators, the throttle is always on my left side. Like was said before, resale value if set up reversed might cause me a problem down the road. Thank you for all of you're input. I will set it up standard.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Eric Losch
    Building Super Sport
    Taildragger

Never had any trouble switching. Probably different person to person depending upon how "handed" each person is. I'm lucky, equally uncoordinated on both sides!

Cheers,

Larry

I agree with what TJ posted;

I occasionally fly different aircraft requiring me to switch hands from what I am normally accustomed. Initially it always feels a bit weird, but learned that after I stop thinking about it so much I find myself adjusting to it rather quickly.

But I suggest anyone switching between planes be aware of the fact that if you have an emergency (like an engine failure on takeoff, e.g.), you might have to rely on reflex rather than the ability to process your hopefully very quick thinking to your appropriate hands. And not always will your hands do the right thing in that scenario. I had a situation like that once when flying a friends new plane, and it almost didn't end well

So I would suggest anyone wanting to switch sides go out with another pilot or instructor so you can fly from the right seat until you are comfortable and confident flying from that side.

I always wondered what they were thinking when they decided to build airplanes where you would have to reverse use of your hands depending on which plane you are flying? It was pretty dumb they did that, and only dumber that they never standardized the controls after all these years. Just imagine how many car wrecks there would be if every other car had tbe gas and brake pedals reversed?