Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: "Tundra Tires"?

Default Re: "Tundra Tires"?

I commend you for doing what you are. I think it is a great business strategy and will be looking forward to getting a set for my next project.

Quote Originally Posted by airtire View Post
    You got a lot of questions....who are you working for?

The saying "there's more than one way to skin a cat" is appropriate here.

(Snip, snip...)
    We are just exploring a different side of the market from a different angle.

and that's all I got to say about that

Quote Originally Posted by kitfoxnick View Post
    Pardon me if this has already been answered. Can you use the 8" Douglas wheels? How low of an air pressure can you run these at?

Yes, the Douglass wheels would work perfectly, but the Matco brakes on that setup are woefully inadequate with the 20" ATV tires. I doubt you could even hold the plane to run up the engine with 26" tires.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I'm guessing that if using the Matcos with the big tires you may have to use double calipers like the Highlander guys are doing? My Highlander with Matco brakes will not hold on runup with just 850's and single calipers.

(Although recently I've learned that if I used smaller brake lines they will hold better?)

I ran Nancos for a couple of years until I found a deal on a set of 26" Airstreaks with double caliper Matco brakes and wheels. Never had a problem with the original calipers (I could lock my Nancos up), but I knew of a few who did. I have a friend who is running Nancos and looking for somthing more. Would it be possible to install two of the original matco calipers.
    I'm curious as to how low a psi these can be run at. To me size is one thing but the performance of a bush tire is based on the cushioning effect. I used to run my nancos at 4-5 psi. I run my Airstreaks at 2.5 to 3 psi.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Nick,
    Funny you mention using double calipers as I have a spare set I took off my RANS S7 when I replaced the entire landing gear. I noticed they are identical to the older style calipers on this Kitfox I just purchased. I know they were barely adequate when on the RANS and it had 6-6.00 tires. I am going to try and make a dual caliper set-up with this 'take-off' set I have. It should be fairly straight forward, just have to get a different backing plate made.

Also, Matco sells an 'intensifier' that is a sleeve and new piston to go inside the stock sized master cylinder. I spoke indepth with Goerge of Matco this summer at Oshkosh and he recommended that I should try it before other options since it is the least expensive upgrade. I think the cost was $17.00.
    Unfortunately I have Cleveland master cylinders and he was not sure at the time if the kit would fit since it is designed for the Matco cylinders.

What would be the best route if you have a grove setup of 6" wheels and matching brake rotors.
    Could you keep the Grove brakes and rotors and switch to a different Matco rim and Desser 27" tire?
    That would be awesome to be able to swap between them.

My KF4-1200 and many others run that setup. Grove brakes are nice and strong and can hold the Desser 22" smoothies no problem.
    I'm very happy with them but I'd be very interested in a 27" for sure!
    Kitfox IV - 1200 (1994) #1830
    Rotax 912
    Grove Gear, Wheels, Brakes
    22" Desser Tundra Tires

Anyone try the 27" yet?
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

their not shipping till march 2015.im also anticipating

Oh, so I guess no ones tried them
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

desser shipped my 27" yesterday .looking forward to trying them.id like to hear others experience with them as well.