Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rudder trim

Default Rudder trim

In a recent post(regarding brakes)a comment was made regarding rudder trim.
    I have to fly with port rudder(2stroke) and it does get tiring after a couple of hours flying.I shimmed the engine thrust line which made a difference but could still use a bit more trim.
    A bendable tab would work for me but these look like an afterthought and may
    be succeptable to hanger damage.
    A while ago I saw what appeared to be a triangle shaped strip near the trailing edge on a rudder,it looked tidy and was near invisible
    Questions. Is anyone using this setup,how affective is it,which side of the rudder does it go(does it push or use black magic to suck the rudder in the desired direction)?
    A spring or bungy setup is an option,is anyone is using this and does it restrict opposite rudder movement?

I taped a wedge that I bought from somewhere, can't remember. you can also make your own out of balsa wood and tape it in place. go from 0 to 1/2 taper might be a start. I would say at least 4 inches long. now if you have to put in right rudder to center the ball, put it on the left side. the idea is the wind will hit the wedge and push the rudder. left rudder needed, you put it on the right side. nothing fancy about it. I taped mine on with clear packaging tape and than hit it with white spray on paint and it's been that way for about 5 years now.

Default Re: Rudder trim

weird, I copied the link, but it doesn't show. the right page, go to the search at the top and put in trim tab, and it will come up. plastic and you can cut it to the size you need.

Thanks this is very helpful, balsa sounds like a good idea.
    Cheers

Hi
    I have used a balsa wedge on the ailerons of my model aircraft and it works very well and looks neat. I varnished the balsa and stuck it on with epoxy adhesive
    Then painted it white about 6" long 1/8"triangle
    Dave
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

That should be Jodel aircraft not model aircraft although it would work for models!
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

Wedges verses triangles?would they perform the same and is there an ideal spot to mount them?

I don't see any difference but I guess a wedge would look better? I mounted mine on the trailing edge of the surface.
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

You can get a very similar wedge shape from Home Depot in the wood moldings department. You can see that is what I used in post #5 under Brakes. However it wasn't enough, so I sandwiched a bendable aluminum tab under the 6" wedge and now it flies ball centered. Yes it may look like an afterthought, but after all it IS an afterthought. Paint it up nice and pretty soon you don't notice it, and it sure helps on long flights.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Here is JIOtts post with the rudder trim. I usually ride right rudder to keep the ball centered, I’ve been thinking of trying this.

Where do you get the heavy duty automotive double stick foam trim tape? I can not find any. Also it it a piece of molding, as backing to the aluminum piece??

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...ht=rudder+trim
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas