Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stick & Rudder Video

Default Stick & Rudder Video

Enjoy--

Thanks Paul and Fred.

https://youtu.be/Xe0OczFRSyQ

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: Stick & Rudder Video

Well here's another from that same week. Paul and I hit nearly forty backcountry strips and had a beautiful night camping at Moose Creek along the Selway. My thanks to Paul for such a great tour.

http://youtu.be/nAgDJjtqs28

Fred Williams
    Reno, NV

Great videos. Looks like you are breaking in that beautiful new Kitfox the proper way.

I like the view from the position you mounted your camera. Is that a GoPro and I'll assume a jury strut mounting of some kind.

Thanks again for the ride along Fred.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

DesertFox4,
    The mount I used is from Cloudbase Engineering. I helped him work out the kinks in a design that fits on Series 7 type struts. Comes on and off in seconds. I'm pretty sure you can get them now from John and Debra at Kitfox. If not, contact cloudbaseengineering.com directly.

Thanks Fred. I assume it was a GoPro camera then.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Oops. Sorry, I forgot to state that I am using a Garmin VIRB with a prop filter. I own an old GoPro 2 but bought the Garmin because I can remotely operate it from the Garmin G3X Touch I have installed on my panel. I was also very disappointed with the UI on the old GoPro I have. The VIRB is much easier to use IMHO.

Thanks for the report on the Garmin VIRB. I am installing a G3X Touch and would prefer to have the VIRB because of the interface too. The video quality is superb.

FYI with the help of my son we got the wiring done on my plane today and turned on the power for the first time. After checking the power and grounds at all the Garmin plugs we tried all of the systems, cranked the engine and booted up G3X and GTR-200 Com radio for the first time!
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

My version of the VIRB has already been superseded. Not sure about how it has improved but biggest problem with mine is that I seem to lose the remote connection to the G3X Touch from time to time. Also note that the G3X will not display the camera's view unless connected with a cable.

Nice videos! At first I thought "this is not safe flying that low in the valley", then the airstrip appeared. No wonder! I have yet to see my airstrip from the air and now wonder how small it's going to look on final.

I take it both those aircraft have a 912 for power? Sad to say, but I fully expect my 582 to pack it up at some point.

Beeryboats,

You have a point.......they do look shorter from the air than from the ground.....here is one (an ultralight field) we take our S7 into and out of. Not a fair comparison because I can actually see it before the approach! I decided this one looked real short from the air...heck, it even looks short from the ground. then there is the extra points for the 12 foot corn and slightly rising terrain on both ends. Anyway, measured it, calculated it, and the KF fits just fine with room to spare. I am still amazed how short a field a kitfox can fit into! Even those of us with average skills can do not too badly.

I admire the folks out west with their backcountry flying...I am convinced it is a separate skill from operating out of the open fields with few obstructions we get in the midwest.

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp drive
    St Paul, MN
    Attached Images Attached Images