Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Looking for a used Rotax 912 ignition module

Default Looking for a used Rotax 912 ignition module

was wondering if anyone had a used good or repairable ignition module for sale for a Rotax 912 UL. Preferable old style

Default Re: Looking for a used Rotax 912 ignition module

What do you mean "old style"?

The original ignitions were incased in a single metal case. Like that? These are no longer supported at all and finding "used" ones is nearly impossible because most were replaced.

There are two family styles to the "modern" individual ignition units. They differ mostly in the style of plugs and hal-effect pickups. These are still supported by Rotax. The internals of these ignitions do vary and are identified by the engine serial number.

Finding a used ignition that will match your engine may not be an easy task.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

No not the original metal ones, but the older new ones. The 965-358 ones. it is the one with the single molex connector and the rest of the wires each having a single connection. for a Rotax 912UL S/N 4400753. I know they may be hard to find, but most seem to have a failure at the ignition switch wire where it breaks just before it goes into the box. That is why I say repairable as well as used. So long as there is enough to do a repair they are still serviceable. Its a hard pill to swallow and fork out $900 for an item that seems to be prone to failure often enough.

I feel your pain. Call Ronnie Smith at South Mississippi Aircraft. 601-947-4953. He has helped me out in the past with a used module.

I have one if you are still looking-

Scott

Thanks everyone for the post and the help. found the problem to be a broken wire at the butt connection. Fixed it and it runs great now

I have an old 912 I picked up used and it has the old aluminum box ignition system. I haven't run the engine yet since I'm still building. Should I consider keeping the big box ignition or start looking for the newer module to replace the box. And if I do replace the box, how much trouble is it to convert the ignition system over? Another factor is how much would it cost to change over.
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster

I would suggest contacting LEAF (link at the left) or Lockwood in Florida to find out more about the ignition system. Have your s/n handy for reference.

Parts and support for the metal box style ignition is no longer available. Upgrading is probably the best option, but it's going to be a spendy venture.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Current price for new current model boxes $780. The box that mine has is pre service letter style so it only has a single molex connection and the rest of the wires are loose cost is $1350. So the older you go the more expensive. According to Kevin Kane (certified Rotax service guy)at CPS all boxes are the same as far as how they work. Newer ones may require some de-pinning of the connectors to fit your model. However he told me to give Ronnie smith a call. See previous comment in this post for his numbers. He had a couple of used one for $500 each. Rumor though that rotax is planning another ignition module design change soon.