Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Grey glue

Default Grey glue

What is the grey glue that holds the ribs in place. I'm not at home to look it up. Need quick response. Thanks in advance

Default Re: Grey glue

I belive you are refering to Hysol
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

It's a loctite product but I cant think of the number off the top of my head. Make sure you get the right one as there are variants.

The gray glue on a mdel IV is a 3M product we referred to as structural adhesive. The Hysol came into play later.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Hysol is owned by Loctite and the part number is 9460. Good stuff.

The glue supplied with earlier Kitfox kits was scotch weld 2216. I have some that is about 20 years old. It is a 2 to 3 ratio mix. Most people now use hysol 9460. It is a 1 to 1 mix ratio, so it's easy to mix up and get it right. I had some of that as well. In a year, the hysol got lumps in it and I was scared to use it. The 20 year old scotch weld still is good. I don't use it on anything life threatening, but it seems as good as it ever was. Don't know what I would buy if I needed more right now, both have good points. If you are going to use it all up quick, get the hysol. Just my 2 cents worth late at night. ;-) Jim Chuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    The glue supplied with earlier Kitfox kits was scotch weld 2216. I have some that is about 20 years old. It is a 2 to 3 ratio mix. Most people now use hysol 9460. It is a 1 to 1 mix ratio, so it's easy to mix up and get it right. I had some of that as well. In a year, the hysol got lumps in it and I was scared to use it. The 20 year old scotch weld still is good. I don't use it on anything life threatening, but it seems as good as it ever was. Don't know what I would buy if I needed more right now, both have good points. If you are going to use it all up quick, get the hysol. Just my 2 cents worth late at night. ;-) Jim Chuk
    I like the 2216 very much, and was using it about 35 years ago while building my first airplane. Other than the mix ratio being a little bit trickier, it is superior in some ways, IMHO. Your experience with the 20 year old stuff is a good example, Jim. It also has a coefficient of thermal expansion not far off from aluminum, and seems to be more flexible. If it wasn't so much more expensive than the 9460 Hysol, and if 3M was easier to deal with, I would've bought some to complete my Kitfox project now.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime