Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boat trailer length

Default boat trailer length

Im going to start looking for a boat trailer to modify to carry an SS. What advertised boat length should i be looking for? Im thinking 16-18'. Im also thinking maybe i should look for steel since thats the only welding experience i have.' Thanks, ken

Default Re: boat trailer length

I used a landscape trailer. Modified it to "lean" the ramp backwards. All total, all in, including commercial three light system on gate, 1200. I've seen guys with the "tracks" for the wheels, but dangit, I like a big solid deck with tie down points for ratchet straps. I also built up a trailer hitch to keep the plane in a level (more or less) attitude in transport. The absence of decking on a boat trailer, for me, makes me nervous. Plus, it's multi functional after getting the bird off. :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

look at pontoon boat trailers at Mid-America trailer sales P,O, box 968
    Lebanon, Mo. 65536. Ph 417 588 5888, www.midamericatrailer.com.
    I purchased a PT 22 (21'-23' boat) without bunks but with front stand and winch plus spare tire for $ 1800. A fellow near factory will transport for a price. See attachment.

This is the modified trailer I nearly finished yesterday. I still need to make a support for the tail. I made the modifications on it to haul the Kitfox to MD but that trip was canceled last night. Not the trip per se, but the hauling the Kitfox. The weather is supposed to get nasty and I realized traveling from northern MN to MD this time of year with an open trailer would not be the best idea. My main concern is the salt/slurry mix that gets spread on most of the roads up here in the midwest to fight ice. I started think I do want to have to deal with a massively corroded airplane from the salt. I had hope to finish the plane this winter and have it flying by spring.

I think that is a very wise decision Keith. That's along way to trailer. I trailer-ed mine from Cincinnati to MD and cringed at every bump on I-76.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

I tailored mine from the KY TN line to NE IN. Most of the trip was after dark. Even at 55-60 MPH I was tense.
    Lou
    KitFox II

Great pics. Wwhunter, what length boat is that trailer supposed to carry? Ken

Trailering the plane backwards, is there a problem with air entering the cockpit through the turtle deck area?

Quote Originally Posted by ken nougaret View Post
    Trailering the plane backwards, is there a problem with air entering the cockpit through the turtle deck area?
    No, but trailering forward I would be concerned about ballooning the wing fabric with air coming in through the butt ribs.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Ken,
    I honestly don't know and am not close to it right now. I have locked it up in the hangar and am packing to leave in the morning. I think it is for a 14' (maybe 16') boat. I had bought it used, with an Alumnicraft boat on it and it was definitely excessive for that boat.
    I had to add to the tongue. If you look at the picture closely you can see where I put another boat tongue under the original. I had to extend it out 4' to allow for turning radius.