Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotec Radial and keyed ignition switch

Default Rotec Radial and keyed ignition switch

It's a long shot, but has anyone wired an ACS keyed start/ignition switch to s Rotec radial? The mag is not a problem, the problem I see comes in the electronic ignition. Doesn't look there are any provisions to ground when not activated and not ground to activate. I can upload the wiring schematics later if that would help...

Thoughts?
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

Default Re: Rotec Radial and keyed ignition switch

Not to defer the question, but have you tried talking directly to Rotec?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Do you have the Rotec wiring diagram ?

I can't remember what it showed but I installed three toggles for the main power,ignition, and a mag and a push button start. That was a year ago and I sold that plane so check your diagram.

Yes, emailed Rotec, didn't really get an answer. Tried emailing 2 more times with no response.

Yes, I have the wiring diagrams and yes you can use a push button and 2 switches, but I want to use the keyed ignition switch. The issue is it grounds to shut off the ignition. I need it to ground to turn on the ignition....

I'll try and include some wiring diagrams tomorrow for those smarter than me...

Thanks!
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

I know it would mean doing it at something like 2 am, but have you tried calling them?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by N213RV View Post
    Yes, emailed Rotec, didn't really get an answer. Tried emailing 2 more times with no response.

Yes, I have the wiring diagrams and yes you can use a push button and 2 switches, but I want to use the keyed ignition switch. The issue is it grounds to shut off the ignition. I need it to ground to turn on the ignition....

I'll try and include some wiring diagrams tomorrow for those smarter than me...

Thanks!
    If I understand correctly, you can use an ice cube relay. I think they are normally open and normally closed depending on which terminals you use.
    Use the keyed switch to switch the relay and provide ground...
    If you have a dual mag switch you might need to wire the switch to provide 12 v
    From mag A and B to trip the relay. Wire the relay to provide ground when tripped. Hope this makes sense.

Or you could wire the electronic module to the master power switch and the mag to the key switch. The problem is you would be turning off the master to test the electronic module.

An ice cube would work but why?

do you have both? elect ign and mag?

I do understand you wanting just a key start, like an automobile but personally I would think a toggle or two would be a 'safety' measure and solve the problem. Maybe I am too 'old school' and have something similar in a couple of my planes but think if there were any problem arising, that needed a quick shut=off of the ignition, it would be nice to just quickly flip a toggle verses finding the key and turning the ignition off. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you really want. Just shooting options and other ideas.

seems to me a key switch will keep lookers or kids at flyins from making the ign hot.