Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CG Limits

Default Re: CG Limits

Forgot to mention - 14 43.3 states who is authorized to make the changes - read particularly (d).

Facts here: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...43_13&rgn=div8

And Appendix A of 14 43, defines what are major alterations, major repairs and preventative. So everything other than preventative is a "Major Change". Everything previously mentioned by Skot falls into one of the "major" categories. So to "reestablish compliance" would be required IMHO - contrary to the advice he has obtained from his TC.

Facts of Appendix A here: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...117.a&rgn=div9

Major changes can be other than just those that affect "flight characteristics" as was stated.

As with all overburdensome governmental regulations, interpretation is everything.

What I stated is what the FAA designated instructor told me during the class, and was then confirmed by the FSDO that issued my "Repairman Light Sport Aircraft"* certificate.

(* As printed on the certificate card.)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Larry,

I do not know who told you that, but that is contradictory to my FAA DAR conversation - might want to double check.

You have to have the "Maintenance Rating" on your "Repairmans Certificate" to perform maintenance SLSA or ELSA. I do however agree, it does also allow you to work on other aircraft of the same class.

Also note under 5-1250 C. it changes reference to "LSA" as that section applies to both SLSA and ELSA.

If your certificate says "Inspection Rating" that is all it authorizes. Per 14, 65, Chapter 5-1250.

Here: http://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/8900.1/v0...05_006rev1.htm

Note, it says similar to part 65.104 which only allows EAB condition inspections. Not to be confused with 65.103 which also allows EAB maintenance.

Here: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...se14.2.65_1103

Good Luck,
    Greg

Part 43 doesn't apply to experimental.

(b) This part does not apply to—

(1) Any aircraft for which the FAA has issued an experimental certificate, unless the FAA has previously issued a different kind of airworthiness certificate for that aircraft; or

(2) Any aircraft for which the FAA has issued an experimental certificate under the provisions of §21.191 (i)(3) of this chapter, and the aircraft was previously issued a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category under the provisions of §21.190 of this chapter.

(c) This part applies to all life-limited parts that are removed from a type certificated product, segregated, or controlled as provided in §43.10.

(d) This part applies to any aircraft issued a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category except:

(1) The repair or alteration form specified in §§43.5(b) and 43.9(d) is not required to be completed for products not produced under an FAA approval;

(2) Major repairs and major alterations for products not produced under an FAA approval are not required to be recorded in accordance with appendix B of this part; and

(3) The listing of major alterations and major repairs specified in paragraphs (a) and (b) of appendix A of this part is not applicable to products not produced under an FAA approval.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Greg,
    Sorry to disagree. The only thing I will apologize for is misreading the paragraph symbol and inserting the ampersand. Keep in mind that I am arguing EAB not ELSA. Below is a copy of the 2 referenced paragraphs in the FSDO issued Operating Limitations. I guess you can add other parts or paragraphs to your copy of your operating limitations when you finish your airplane, but for me, I will go with what the FAA deemed applicable. A thought on that. I don't think Mr. Dilbeck made any of this up especially for me. I tried to negotiate quite passionately for modifications to my flight test area. Mr. Dilbeck didn't have the final say. I was shown some of the correspondence between him and the director. Although he had authority over me, he was obviously under a higher authority. He toed the line.

§ 21.93 Classification of changes in type design.
    (a) In addition to changes in type design specified in paragraph (b) of this section, changes in type design are classified as minor and major. A “minor change” is one that has no appreciable effect on the weight, balance, structural strength, reliability, operational characteristics, or other characteristics affecting the airworthiness of the product. All other changes are “major changes” (except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section).

§ 91.319 Aircraft having experimental certificates: Operating limitations.
    (b) No person may operate an aircraft that has an experimental certificate outside of an area assigned by the Administrator until it is shown that—
    (1) The aircraft is controllable throughout its normal range of speeds and throughout all the maneuvers to be executed; and
    (2) The aircraft has no hazardous operating characteristics or design features.

Part 21.93 applies to all aircraft as is evident when reading the entire regulation as it relates to transport aircraft, helicopters, ag aircraft, etc.

Part 91.319 specifically applies to Experimental Amateur Built Aircraft.

I suspect in the wisdom of the FAA, if my engine, landing gear or wing swap applies to another part or paragraph in the FARs it would be mentioned in my operating limitations. There have just been too many years monitoring email lists and forums listening to thousands of guys and actually watching others and helping at times doing all sorts of things to their personally built or purchased experimental aircraft to finally at the close of 2014 to find that they had it all wrong all that time. In short an amateur built aircraft can be worked on by anyone - Preventive, routine maintenance or major repairs or alterations. The only signature required from a certificate holder is at the Annual Condition Inspection.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Lowell,

Did not ask you to apologize for anything and no need to. I suppose as Larry says -
    As with all overburdensome governmental regulations, interpretation is everything.
    We're talking about the government here and as I've been finding each DAR and FSDO seems to have a different take on just about everything.

So, as I suggested at the beginning of this thread - it is best to check with the DAR/FSDO that you/he will be dealing with.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Danzer1 View Post

Your post further states in 3 places, it all has to comply with CFR 14. CFR 14 part 43.7 only allows a a private pilot to return an aircraft to service after preventative maintenance - for everything else you either need to be an A&P or hold the Repairmans Certificate. As pertains to EAB in this scenario.

So with EAB, he could do the work under the supervision of an A&P, but an A&P would have to sign off to return the aircraft to service. As he stated he bought the aircraft used, he does not hold the Repairmans Certificate.

The "facts" of 43.7 are here: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...43_17&rgn=div8
    Danzer only appendix D of part 43 applies as it is written into the operating Limitations, no other part of part 43 applies
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip