Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fuel Filter Advice

Default Re: Fuel Filter Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Danzer1 View Post
    Paul,
    Are you sure it is a 2301 (35 micron) and not a 2302 (85 micron) - they look identical? Curious to know for sure what the factory uses!

Greg
    I needed to replace the Filter because when I first started flying the plane I used Auto Fuel as marked on the Wings, I just didn't think about the detrimental effects of the Alcohol (Big Mistake), it started eating away at the tank or stripping out the mold release, and I had to flush my tanks, replace the hoses, clean out the air box, replace the filter, and rebuild the Carbs. I ordered a Fuel Filter from Kitfox. Kitfox sent me an auto fuel filter that was the typical auto in-line push on fuel filter, and it wouldn't work with my flanged inline mounting. I ended up removing the Fuel Filter, it had no labels saying what Model Number it was, it just had Earls Stamped on one of the Hex ends. I did a search trying to find the replacement. The only one I could find was Earl's Fuel Filter 230106, which is a 35 Micron. I have had absolutely no problems with the filter, never clogging. When I purchased it I figure if it works on a Race Car it should work on a plane, and it matched the Housing Size & Shape of the one I was replacing.

I did not realize, and did not find the 85 Micron filter, I guess I need to Call John and ask him which he would recommend using. 35 Microns is a significantly smaller than the 85 Microns. I'm going to drive to the airport and see if I still have the old filter in my tool box.

What are your thoughts?

35 Micron
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/230108/10002/-1

85 Micron
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Earl%26%23039%...30208/10002/-1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Hi Paul,

As yours is SLSA, you need to stick with the factory recommendation, so best to check with them.

Personally, I don't believe anything below 100 micron is necessary as there are no parts, passages, ports, jets on any carb (that I know of) that are smaller then .5 millimeters (500 microns). Anything smaller than 100 would pass through and still be burnt in the combustion cycle. 1/10th of a millimeter is pretty dang small! As an a example: the thickness of a piece of #20 bond weight paper is about 1/10 of a millimeter. Anything much lower than 100 also increases your risk of premature clogging and hence more frequent filter maintenance.

IMHO,
    Greg

Debbie, didn't recall she talked to either John or Judd and said it was the 35 Micron Filter. Like I have said I have never had it clog up. Even when I had the sludge in the fuel system it didn't clog it up.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Paul,

I just checked the SLSA brochure and it does say 35 micron, but I would check anyway as the same brochure also say it doesn't have a fuel pump and a 912ULS definitely has one - mechanical, but it is there - maybe they mean it doesn't have an "electric" fuel pump!

Greg

Only one Fuel Pump, on the passenger side of the engine. I just replaced it because of a recall. No electric anywhere I can find!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I think John needs a new flyer.
    Here is the existing flyer from the Web. http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/images...-SLSA-2014.jpg
    Equip-Features-SLSA-2014.jpg

He's been pushing a Tri Gear or a Tail Wheel, here is my suggestion for change. I am having fun with my new plane.
    New Kitfox Flyer.jpg
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas