Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: rigging flapperons

Default rigging flapperons

hello, I am in the process of rigging my flapperons, and I noticed that my alerion tubes that connect to the flapperon control horns are different lengths. The one is about 1 inch longer that the other! This was a previously owned kit and the part numbers are off. So what I'm asking is , which one goes to which side???

Thanks
    Patrick Series 6 builder

Default Re: rigging flapperons

I'm pretty sure they if the horns are already installed on the flaperon tubes, then they can only go on one way. I hope I'm understanding your question.
    Paul Morel
    912 Speedster

Quote Originally Posted by P Morel View Post
    I'm pretty sure they if the horns are already installed on the flaperon tubes, then they can only go on one way. I hope I'm understanding your question.

hmmmm.
    I'm talking about the alerion tubes that connect the flapperon control horn to the bell crank arm (mixer controls). If I run the threads out I think could make them both work.

Patrick,

The right (starboard or copilot's side) and left (port or pilot's side) flaperon push pull tubes are different length.

You might have been snookered on this if the part number tags were removed by the previous builder before you got the kit in your hands.....at any rate, it's critical and has to be correct.

What I remember, if you can depend on the amount of time between when I build our plane and the present....is that the starboard side is longer than the port side......but you better check to be sure.

If you have to extend the threads on one side and run them all the way in on the other to get the rigging right - they are probably on the wrong side. You want to be sure you have enough thread engaged on all 4 rod ends (should end up nearly the same engagement for all 4).

If you can check your assembly manual for a description, but if the tags are removed probably stuck with making sure they fit correctly when the controls, flaperons are set in the right place.

Just make sure they end up correct.....it's critical.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear Flying
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St PAul MN

You are right, the rods are about an inch different in length. The right one is the longer one.

When you rig them there should be an equal amount of threads showing on both ends of the rod.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Patrick,

The right (starboard or copilot's side) and left (port or pilot's side) flaperon push pull tubes are different length.

You might have been snookered on this if the part number tags were removed by the previous builder before you got the kit in your hands.....at any rate, it's critical and has to be correct.

What I remember, if you can depend on the amount of time between when I build our plane and the present....is that the starboard side is longer than the port side......but you better check to be sure.

If you have to extend the threads on one side and run them all the way in on the other to get the rigging right - they are probably on the wrong side. You want to be sure you have enough thread engaged on all 4 rod ends (should end up nearly the same engagement for all 4).

If you can check your assembly manual for a description, but if the tags are removed probably stuck with making sure they fit correctly when the controls, flaperons are set in the right place.

Just make sure they end up correct.....it's critical.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear Flying
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St PAul MN

Thanks again Dave, and Papua pilot! I assumed that the longer aileron tube went on the right(copilot side). Then I had about 1/4" threads left on the tube. With out part #'s , I wanted to be 100% sure.

My kit was a 1997 model IV and I had to cut one of my linkages and have it shortened. There was no way I could connect them with the flaperons rigged anywhere close to the prescribed positions. It may have been a fluke but if you just cannot make them work you may be in the same situation.

Hank