Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Left over fabric?

Default Left over fabric?

My recently purchased mod IV has been setting for ten years and the one D window has cracked 2/3's the way around on one side right on the stitch line. I was planning on removing the "glass" right at the window outline and gluing in a new one slightly oversized with a three inch fabric edge re-enforcement. Would anyone have any left over fabric for such a job and any idea as to what would be a good adhesive? Contact adhesive maybe?

Default Re: Left over fabric?

Jay,
    I have some new, medium weight PolyFiber fabric left over. I can cut some off of the roll for you. I also have two (2) extra windows that I will NOT be using. These are just plain windws, and are from the factory. They would have to be sewn into the fabric I can send you.

(I ended up installing the factory sewn in windows.)

I would use the PolyFiber method of using MEK to remove the installed window and fabric, and then install the new one using the PolyTack cement to glue the new fabric to the existing. Iron the fabric only and shrink it at 300 degrees or less, and then use a brush to apply the PolyBrush, the PolySpray, and the Polytone color to match the existing.
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

Quote Originally Posted by GWright6970 View Post
    Jay,
    I have some new, medium weight PolyFiber fabric left over. I can cut some off of the roll for you. I also have two (2) extra windows that I will NOT be using. These are just plain windws, and are from the factory. They would have to be sewn into the fabric I can send you.

(I ended up installing the factory sewn in windows.)

I would use the PolyFiber method of using MEK to remove the installed window and fabric, and then install the new one using the PolyTack cement to glue the new fabric to the existing. Iron the fabric only and shrink it at 300 degrees or less, and then use a brush to apply the PolyBrush, the PolySpray, and the Polytone color to match the existing.
    Hi, that would be awesome. Send me a PM with contact info and I'll see if I can get my dad to fly your way in his Corby Starlet. He can slip you a little something and take care of shipping it to me. He's up in Clear Lake and is always looking for ways to put time on his new engine. His little Corby is cute with a capitol C.
    Last edited by beeryboats; 04-10-2014 at 06:24 PM.

Jay,
    PM sent... Thats great he is so close to me, but I can ship them faster than that!

Cheers,
    Grover
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL