Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY VG's

Default Re: DIY VG's

Actually had two aircraft with them on the tail. The difference I noticed was a little better authority of the elevator and rudder and slower speeds. It wasn't a lot but it is enough that helps for those real short strips that require minimal speed on landing. I fly out of my own strip in north central Mn and originally it was less than 1,000' with very tall trees on each end. Of course the way my strip is oriented i have a crosswind most of the time sogetting down and landed in the shortest/quickest time was neccessary.

In regards to Skypirates question, they are normally installed at 10-14% chord. I have read of guys placing them closer to the leading edge and getting good results but a simple google search will result in enough info to digest for many days!!

Thumbs up Re: DIY VG's

thanks for the info WW
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

There was a guy in Alaska some years ago that made vortex generators for his model 5 Kitfox from clear plastic 90 degreee angle used to protect sheet rock corners. Can't remember for sure but I think the only fabricating was to cut them to length and glue them on the wing. He reported good results.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Quote Originally Posted by n85ae View Post
    This is why a lot of builders are perpetual builders you know ... because
    they're slow, and can't think outside the packing crate ...

Well actually I could whip out a lot of them very fast with my bandsaw, which is
    why I was thinking about it. Just set the fence and repeatedly feed the L into it
    lopping them off. Then nip off a 45 degree at the LE, and little quick trip around
    table sander and they would be done. I bet I could do them all in less than a
    1-2 hours max. Using 6061 they would not need anything but the adhesive
    on the bottom (which with most commercial ones you have to do anyway)
    Stolspeed for example you have to put the adhesive on every one.

I know I could make them fast enough, I was just trying to think of a good
    reason why they have to be T-Shape, and for the life of me I can't

Jeff
    I think I'm with Jeff on this one. If I ever have them, they will likely be made here. With the right tools many identical parts can be made very quickly. Regarding the T vs L. I think I would make 200 Ls and glue them back to back. Since they are attached to fabric, I wonder if they would flex the fabric losing some of their effectiveness.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel