Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY VG's

Default DIY VG's

Random thought:

Looking at the $80-250+ for a package of plastic VG's, and the thought occurred
    to me. This is pretty expensive (relatively speaking), for something that seems
    pretty easy to replicate for cheap.

I'm wondering if there is any reason VG's have to be T-Shaped, seems like you
    could simply cut them out of .025 aluminum angle. One side of which was the
    attach surface, with something like 3M double sided adhesive tape, and the
    other side being the blade in the airstream.

Whether a T, or an L as long as you had say 20mm or so of attach footprint
    that seems like it should work just fine.

You could easily fashion half left, and half right side pieces so the flat
    footprint half of the L ended up on the upwind facing side.

Regards,
    Jeff Hays

Default Re: DIY VG's

Personally, for the time it would take to fabricate all those pieces, I would gladly pay the $250

My question, do you have that much spare time to make at least 100, buy the adhesive, shape the bottoms so they fit, etc. and save money?
    They can be bought for $50-$100 per 100 VG's. The one's for $100 come with the tape already included.

I will agree that it can be done the way you discribe. The metal VG's that were on my Champ were very thin. Also, the plastic one's are thin also and could be easily made with an injection molding machine. I personally wouldn't spend my time trying to make something that is relatively in-expensive as far and aircraft parts are concerned.

I have both types, one set I paid $50 and the other I paid $100 which included precut double-sided tape. The extra money spent for the precut adhesive was definitely worth the price.

This is why a lot of builders are perpetual builders you know ... because
    they're slow, and can't think outside the packing crate ...

Well actually I could whip out a lot of them very fast with my bandsaw, which is
    why I was thinking about it. Just set the fence and repeatedly feed the L into it
    lopping them off. Then nip off a 45 degree at the LE, and little quick trip around
    table sander and they would be done. I bet I could do them all in less than a
    1-2 hours max. Using 6061 they would not need anything but the adhesive
    on the bottom (which with most commercial ones you have to do anyway)
    Stolspeed for example you have to put the adhesive on every one.

I know I could make them fast enough, I was just trying to think of a good
    reason why they have to be T-Shape, and for the life of me I can't

Jeff

Oh yeah I almost forgot the critical part - "you don't have my wife". That's
    part of the reason I need to think how to make them rather than spend $250
    for a set all ready made ...

Jeff

I bought them and the wife helped me put them on.

Jeff, I totally agree that they can be made and it would have the cool "I made 'em myself' factor. I guess as I have gotten older I value my time more than I did when I was ounger and seemed to have all the time in the world.
    One other aspect of the VG's I have purchased is that the bottom (mating surface) is curved for them to get a better contact on the wing. You may want to mesure your wing, make a template, and then shape your's to fit this curve. You'll have less issue with them coming off.
    Just for anyone else wanting cheap VG's: google Black Max Airwave VG's. The owner's name is Keith and he is locted in Detroit Lakes, MN. He sells the cheapest VG's I know of. I think he raised his price a tiny bit but they are still cheap. $54.95 last I checked. I have the AirWave on the tail of the plane and have STOLSPEED on the wings.

I made some one time but never got around to using them. Basicly made a trapizoid and then bent both ends up 90 degrees. Got the design from someone else who used them on his ultralight and liked what they did for him. Made them out of thin aluminum cut in strips and then cut the ends at an angle to form a trapizoid. Really didn't take long to make them. I'm about 1350 miles from home so I can't get a picture. That would probably make my description much easier to understand. Jim Chuk

How did the VG's on the tail work out for you? I might still break down and
    buy the plastic ones.

Regards,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    Jeff, I totally agree that they can be made and it would have the cool "I made 'em myself' factor. I guess as I have gotten older I value my time more than I did when I was ounger and seemed to have all the time in the world.
    One other aspect of the VG's I have purchased is that the bottom (mating surface) is curved for them to get a better contact on the wing. You may want to mesure your wing, make a template, and then shape your's to fit this curve. You'll have less issue with them coming off.
    Just for anyone else wanting cheap VG's: google Black Max Airwave VG's. The owner's name is Keith and he is locted in Detroit Lakes, MN. He sells the cheapest VG's I know of. I think he raised his price a tiny bit but they are still cheap. $54.95 last I checked. I have the AirWave on the tail of the plane and have STOLSPEED on the wings.

check with speedy metals,.bet they have or can get extruded "T" or "L" or any shape you want, or check with a window shop ..allot of the aluminum molding is a T that gets pressed into a rubber slot for commercial windows,..my only concern would be location ..the optimum location to put the VG's,..angle..etc
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL