Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wait is Over

Default Re: The wait is over.

No, nothing top secret. Just used a little smaller versions of factory supplied stiffener birch. Drilled lightening holes in most and put them on every rib that was shown in the manual. I toyed around with leaving out a rib or maybe two in the vertical stabilizer and rudder set up. Ended up going with the good looking factory profile.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Please excuse my ignorance but is that the 'Speedster tail' or the standard tail you have there?

Alan

Speedster tail.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

One side done. Another to go. The door frames for a first time take some time to figure out. Lots of little cuts so as not to remove too much material and end up ordering replacement parts. Don't laugh but I think I spent almost 15 hours messing with this side. Still need to finish a few clean up cuts and bond the parts to the frame.
    The other should be much easier now that I have a clue.
    P1110341.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Baggage compartment frame in , header tank installed. Seat retention hardware installed. Looks much more secure than zip ties. Nice improvement.
    Door frame metal bonded clamped and curing. After fiddling with the left side door metal so long for fear of messing it up, the passenger/co-pilot side only took about 2.5 hours to measure and cut. I think both sides came out nice. Time will tell when doors are installed.
    Made the rear bulkhead metal and epoxy varnished the rear bulkhead.

P1110344.jpg

P1110345.jpg

P1110346.jpg

P1110349.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Steve,

Is the aluminum framework for the baggage compartment floor a factory thing now, or is it your own idea?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Steve, looks good! the time was worth it on your door frames - very neat job! And I love the Clamp-Art too! That is a serious looking baggage compartment ! I bet there a few Kitfox owners checking your patent on that design! Are you going to paint the header tank and door frames? I put a coat of primer on the header tank yesterday just for protection - but I am still not sure about the door frames - Will have to be painted but not sure just where the fabric will end up and if its best to paint the frames before or after covering. Thanks for the pics again - This site is so good for learning with and from other builders!

cheers

ross

Ross, I've had an aluminum header tank for 12 years in my model 4 and it still looks like the day it was installed.
    I will not paint the tank but especially not the door frames as they will get covered with fabric and we never know if off the shelf paint is compatible with the poly fiber liquids used during covering.

The large baggage compartment frame has been used for 15 years here in the desert. Phil Laker and Murle Williams did it long before me. I just copied their designs. I have it in my model 4 only not quite as large due to the design of the four's fuselage tubing placement. We use regular Poly Fiber fabric for the sides. Works great. I'll have more photos when I get to the fabric part of the baggage compartment.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Finished the right side door frames today, installed seat retention screws/washers in six locations. Four on the seat bottom and two on the seat backs. Works great. Also tackled one fuselage side stringer. Installed rear bulkhead also. The day went quick. Time for pizza.

P1110352.jpg

P1110353.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Some photos below with captions of other items off list.

P1110357.jpg
    Installed wooden seat block to prevent control binding.

P1110368.jpg
    Covered center console. Wired and installed trim switch.

P1110370.jpg
    Installed belts.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear