Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bungee

Default Bungee

Just acquired a Model II Kitfox and will need to replace the landing gear Bungees. Has anyone made up their own from bungee cord that is sold by the foot. If yes, what diameter did you use....the current cords appear to be about 5/8" diameter. Thinking the old ones are somewhat stretched out to use for patterns, so how long do they need to be loop-to-loop if it's practical to make them rather than just buying them from Kitfox? I think they get $85 or $95 for a pair.

Thanks, in advance.

Default Re: Bungee

Lynn,
    I sent an email.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

E-mail received....I appreciate the information!

Lynn

welcome to the forum neighbor,,Im due west in phelps county..I use to own a model 2 ..still kick myself in the back side for selling,,loved it~!!
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Thanks for the welcome SkyPirate. Phelps Co....please refresh my memory, how far is Edgar Springs from Rolla?

I guess I should have said I'm 1/2 owner of the Kitfox II in my original post. The plane is somewhat a project plane in that it hasn't had a lot of maintenance or love in several years. Included in the work to be done is to evaluate the extent of damage to the 582 that partially seized on it's last flight. Lots of disassembly, cleaning, checking, reassembly is ahead of us.

I find it rather interesting that there are 3 Kitfox planes in our 20-ish member EAA chapter.

Lynn

Lynn did you get the info on the Bungees I need to replace mine also....
    Thanks Bob

I haven't really followed up with any dedication. I did find on-line suppliers of bulk bungee cord, but have yet to find a local source for the large "nicopress" fittings, and I've not found a cord supplier that offers the fittings too.

With a little more checking, the bungee cords from our Kitfox are between 3/8" and 7/16". That was checked by slipping an open end wrench over a section of the old cord that was removed. I never did call the number I received in the e-mail that was referenced in the first reply.

I haven't given up on making my own, but have just been busy with a number of other things.

Lynn

Lynn,

I don't know how long the bungees are and many turns are required, but that information should be available somewhere.

On my previous plane, a Spezio, it used an identical bungee arrangement. I made many sets over the years. Making the loops is easy, you simply double it over and form a loop by wrapping the tail with a very strong cord. I used rib stitching cord. After wrapping, I coated the cord with clear dope. I never had one come apart.
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

Aircraft spruce has 3/8" shock cord for a bit more than $1.00 a foot. I've bought it from them several times. Made my own bungees for Avid Flyers several times. Used multiple wraps of safty wire to make the loops at the ends. Worked good for me. I would do it again. Jim Chuk

Lynn, im about 20 miles south of Rolla, but based at M48, there was an airplane/carshow at KUUV Sullivan Mo this past week end, 211 kids got rides thru the young eagles, i took 5 potential kitfox flyers up
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL