Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Drivers license - Third Class Medical Proposal

Default Re: Drivers license - Third Class Medical Proposal

I hate to be negative but it's a waste of time IMHO. I would love to get my third class again. I am really tired of EAA and AOPA sending me emails and letters asking for money.

The law was already passed and it's being ignored by DOT so even if it passes again, why would they act this time?

It is surprising to me how many pilots I have run across that don't have a current medical, and a few are not even licensed pilots. When I first started flying in Dallas, there was an accident where a man got into his twin engine at Addison Airport, a Towered controlled airport, in IFR weather got cleared and took off only to kill himself in a crash just south of the airport. Seems as if he hadn't even been soloed yet.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeTim View Post
    I hate to be negative but it's a waste of time IMHO. I would love to get my third class again. I am really tired of EAA and AOPA sending me emails and letters asking for money.

The law was already passed and it's being ignored by DOT so even if it passes again, why would they act this time?
    I'm curious - what law has already passed that eliminates the requirement for a 3rd class medical for certain types of flying like this one does? I'm passionately for this thing passing, because it makes good common sense in several ways, and it gets the government off our backs just a little bit more and that's a good thing. I'm sorry you're negative about it, because if enough pilots have that attitude and don't stand up & make their voices heard in favor of it, loud & clear, then you're right - it will have been a waste of time and a lot of good people's efforts. I know you're venting a little, but what's it got to do with EAA & AOPA asking for money also? Those 2 organizations have done more for all of us, in helping to preserve the freedom to fly as we do in this country, than I'll ever be able to repay. I give to them in ways that I can, and I appreciate them both. What's that got to do with this issue?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    It is surprising to me how many pilots I have run across that don't have a current medical, and a few are not even licensed pilots. When I first started flying in Dallas, there was an accident where a man got into his twin engine at Addison Airport, a Towered controlled airport, in IFR weather got cleared and took off only to kill himself in a crash just south of the airport. Seems as if he hadn't even been soloed yet.
    I was up in Alaska this month and I was told by one of the local pilots that the ratio of licensed vs. unlicensed pilots in Alaska was less than 50 percent. He compared it to being raised on a farm in the lower 48 where farm kids learn to drive and operate equipment at a real early age sans government licenses.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

AOPA Live This Week report online had a piece with information about the progress of legislation for pilots. It sounds like there may be some proposed compromises in the works as far as medical requirements.

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

Yes, there were changes made to appease some concerned Senators.
    EAA has the details of the compromises made to the bill to increase it's chances of passage. It sounds as if it really had no chance of passing in it's original form.
    Sorry I don't have the link handy to take you to EAA's newest article.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Yes, I read the new additions to the proposal and while I understand why they were added, it basically defeated the entired genisis of why most of us wanted this passed. The 10 years since a medical is appeasing those that can't seem to relinguish control on our lives.
    In my case, I had purchased a Champ on floats and since it was LSA compliant I never renewed my medical. I think my last medical was/is passed the 10 year mark. Since I no longer needed it, I didn't bother carrying it anymore and as time went by, I have forgotten where/when I got it. Can't seem to find it either but am guessing it was around 10 years ago.

I am betting I am in a group of guys in the same situation that will either have to renew their medical or go get one. Well, those DA in big government have figured this out and their new ideas keep them in control. I lived in the Wash. DC area long enough to know that they relish the idea of more control and can not fathom losing any of it. Rant over!

Only one word needed "Politicians" both sides want to control the Population.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Freinds, it will be difficult to discuss this topic and still refrain from topping our political soapboxs. Lets give it our best efforts. I'm interested more in how it will affect our members.
    Regaining liberties is always a daunting task but this one I am in for the duration. Our pursuit of happiness now and in the future depends
    on our joint effort to push as much of the original Pilots Bill of Rights 2 through to the end zone as we can. Once the seed germinates and has roots, then maybe we can prune it more to our liking. The game may be rigged but to sit on the sidelines and not take the field is to relinquish all chances of getting on the scoreboard.
    Keep the pressure applied to the tenderest of spots team.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

No political opinion from me (not that I don't have one). Just two very simple questions:
    1. Does the new proposal change anything for the Sport Pilot certificate holder? (a simple yes or no works for me)
    2. If the answer to question #1 is "yes", what will, not might, change?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos