Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 68 of 87 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Re: Oz build SS7

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeTim View Post
    I'm an electrician by trade and engineer. If we lived close to each other, I would happily wire your plane if you varnish mine, LOL.

I LOVE wiring from scratch and working out logic problems in control systems. It's a sickness.
    When us "non electrical" types were building we always would warn one another to not let the smoke out of the wires.

We knew when we created smoke, we had done something wrong.

You get to the point where you wire the whole panel on the kitchen table without any fuses, don't wear gloves under 480 volts and become a ninja where you can see electrons.

I look at painters in awe cause I suck at painting. I am about to embark on covering and fully expect to buy a LOT of extra dacron.

I went to the Aircraft Spruce booth at Airventure and ordered a harness yesterday to finish my panel. (Dynon D180, iCom A210, Garmin Aera 500, Garmin 327 Transponder)

Much better than trying to do it myself and letting out the magic smoke that makes these fancy boxes work right.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Default Re: Wiring....still!

Just thought it had been a long time since I posted - wiring is not that exciting to report on. Getting towards the end know and will tidy it all up then and have a 'switch on' party - bring your own fire extinguisher!

cheers

r
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Just remember, don't let the smoke out of the wires and you should be ok!

I've always wondered how the electronics manufacturers install all of that smoke inside of the various components. I would imagine that is a proprietary process. Their canned answer "did you see any sparks or smoke?" "Oh, you saw smoke, its your fault you'll need to buy a replacement."
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Keep up the good work Ross! I'm enjoying following your build. Keep those pictures and posts coming.

Cheers Scott - good to hear from you! Showed that 'skiing' pic to a friend last night and he was very impressed. I use it as motivation often!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Default Smoke contained within wires!

Today was switch-on day! I thought it was best to try things out before tidying everything up - at least that is my excuse - truth is I couldn't wait any longer to see it all light up! I am pleased to report that ( so far) everything works as it should. getting the MGL EFIS and EMS matched up to the 912is is a bit of a challenge but we are getting there. We tested all the light switches and had the hanger looking like a disco! Radio, transponder and Airmaster all appear to be as they should and the MGL Extremes both went through their checks and seem to sensing the data from the AHRS and remote compass. We still have to set the parameters for them so not sure yet if we have any issues. I do have an issue with the OAT which is suggesting it is -272'c - now not even Josh Esser would live in that temperature! I have joined both the OAT from the EMS and the EFIS to the sensor and think that is the problem, but it could be that I have the wires around the wrong way. We also tested LaneA and Lane B and the test lights extinguished after 3-4 secs so everything appears to be ok! I gave the engine starter a little tickle to make sure that the system was working - it was all good and I got the impression that little engine is just itching to bust into life!

The wiring has been a long haul for me - way out of my comfort and technical zone but again, by going slowly and asking heaps of Q's it is possible to do a reasonable job. Like all the jobs on the plane, if I was starting now, it would be a much better job as you just get a little skill and knowledge when the job is over - but that's the fun I guess.

Is that the finish line I can sniff around the next bend???

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Default Hanger flying with Mum ....

And my 93yo Mum called by the hanger so we did a little hanger flying ...
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ