Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Hysol mix

Default Hysol mix

Tonight I made my first mix of Hysol. What have people used for accurate mix rates. I was a bit surprised at the short setup time with micro balloons mixed in. I bought the quick build so this mix was for the reinforcement plates on the wing spars.

Jim

Default Re: Hysol mix

In a previous conversation, 50/50 by weight vs 50/50 by volume was discussed and as I recall the factory said either is ok. I mix by weight using a small electronic scale since it is much easier to adjust weight than volume.

From what I remember, there are different Hysol products and the mixing ratios are also different. Follow the recommendations in the instructions. Adequate mixing is extremely important, but I have noticed that that the longer you mix the product, the shorter the cure time.
    Mike
    Mike Kahle
    Jackson, MO
    IV Classic 582
    RV-12is building

Hey Jim, I threw this post together a while ago. It may help you. I try to make batches 60 to 100 grams depending what I am doing. I find the bigger the batch the faster it sets up.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=4761&

I mixed by volume with measuring spoons leveled off for my whole project. Yes I also noticed the larger batches seemed to set up sooner; I think it is because of the larger amount of heat generated.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Like Jim, I mixed with measuring spoons leveled off also. Very quick & easy. For average size batches I used dixie cups and popsicle sticks ( bought a whole box of them - cheap). Exactly right that heat speeds up the curing process. Larger quantities create more heat. If you use & spread it out right away, doesn't matter much. While it's sitting in the mixing container in a big glob, it makes a big difference.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

When mixing the 50/50 Hysol doing it by volume is about as close to doing it by weight.

When mixing larger batches use a sheet of HDPE plastic or glass. Mix it with an auto body squeegee keeping it thin on the sheet to prevent heat build-up. This method gets a good mix, blends easily and results in maximum working time. When the mixture kicks off it's easy to clean. Scrape the mixing sheet with a single edge razor blade or a sharp putty knife while the epoxy is still rubbery.

And as a reminder, Hysol can get granulated in cold weather. Just warm it up with a heat gun and stir it thoroughly. The granules will melt right in.

Thank you all for the comments on the hysol, the statement below was very helpful as there are some small granules in the white can but not in the black. I did use the spoon method yesterday and it worked ok but I do like the idea of loading some type of duel tubes to just squeeze equal portions out. All good ideas from all of you. I will be building on a more regular schedule so I hope to post some photos as I go along.

And as a reminder, Hysol can get granulated in cold weather. Just warm it up with a heat gun and stir it thoroughly. The granules will melt right in.

Thanks

This all just seems like a lot of excess messing around when this product is available in mixing cartridges from several sources. I used RH Hughes. The mixing tips were cheap and you could apply as little or as much as needed, always proportioned and mixed perfectly.

When you are done, toss the mixing tip and cap the cartridge. You don't loose any more than you would on your mixing board or application baggies, and it's a whole lot easier to control making nice even beads.

I got a used Gun from another builder, but they are also available off eBay or Amazon cheaper than the 3M labeled one.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I would like to try those on the leading edge caps. It seems like the perfect way to get a long, straight bead when attaching the caps.

How many tubes would it take to glue those on?