Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hysol 101

Default Hysol 101

Hello everyone. When I started building I was trying to find info on Hysol before I dove in so I thought I would show everyone my method here for the beginner. Everyone has different ways to do this I'm sure but for me this is the quickest and cleanest way. If you have another method feel free to share.

Step 1: Container

I find dixie cups too flexible and they fall apart while mixing. Yogurt containers are good but I seem to run out quick. So I use three chopped down solo cups. once they are cut down they are too flexible to stir aggressively so I use three.

I cut them all so its shallow enough to mix.

I now have three.

I weight the one and take note of weight.

Then I weigh the other.

I always put the black part in first for my base weight. It is harder to scoop and move so I will put a chunk in there and then try to match the weight part to that weight.

Measure the black

Scoop up the white.

Measure. Remembering that this cup weighed a gram more. I'm sure a gram doesnt matter but I like to match it. The white part is easy to add or subtract.

Once I am happy with the weights I scoop the white part into the black part (Remember the white is easier to handle)

I then stack all three cups and stir until ready.

I find my favourite way of applying it is with the white syringes that kitfox sells. I have reused them over 20 times before I throw them out.

Another thing you will notice is that I use two stainless butter knives. i like them better than tongue depressors. They are sturdier and they wipe clean super easily. Then I reuse them. Just make sure you dont accidentally use the same knife in two different parts . I'm sure it's happened. When I am finished I clean up everything I want to keep with a shop towel damped in methyl Hydrate and throw out the used solo cups.

Try not to make too big of a batch but you don't want to run out in the middle of a project either. You will get the hang of how much you need after a while. I flag areas that need a little bit of hysol but not enough to make a batch, when I have extra I get all those spots.

Lets see what everyone else does.

Default Re: Hysol 101

Cool country singer Tobie Keith would be proud he has a song "Red Solo Cup" lol

now there is another use for them besides drinking

I have never used the 9460 Hysol, only the EA-9430 from Aircraft Spruce. In the old days the ribs were glued in with a 3M product. Most of my mixes are small by comparison.

For a mixing container, I use the two ounce portion cups you see for loading ketchup for your fries. With the 9430 the mix is 4:1 and the 1 is a thin liquid so I use a syringe to add that. I like the knife idea rather than the wood tongue blades. I use a dental cement spatula. The blade is about 5/16" wide and a couple of inches long. LIke the knives, it is sturdy and cleans up easily. If I forget to clean it, I can use the wire brush wheel on the other end of my grinder. Since my catalyst is a liquid I only need one spatula. I also use the portion cups on all my epoxy fiberglass projects. I find the size perfect for virtually all projects.

A thought on the knives. You can find heat shrink tubing that would fit the handle. Black on black and White on white. Easy to keep the knives separate.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I helped a buddy build his wings a couple years ago. He used the double barreled, self mixing, miniature calk gun style applicator.

This was real easy to work with. No measuring or mixing or applying out of a ziplock bag...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I also used cut down Solo cups.
    For measuring I use aluminum measuring spoons and the wood tongue depressors.

Jim

How in the world do you clean the syringes you bought from Kitfox. By the time I am done applying the denatured alcohol won't clean it out. Also what kind of scale do you use? Thanks for any help.
    Regards, Stan

Hi Stan,

For reusing the syringes, I push out as much of the excess left over product I can. At that point I take out the plunger and clean that with methyl hydrate. I then let what ever is left in the bottom of the syringe cure. Once it is cured I stick a wood screw in the nozzle and give it a good whack against the work bench. All the cured Hysol in the bottom just pops out.

As for the scale, I just went to harbor freight/ princess auto and bought a cheap mail scale that had a digital read out.

I make my batches about 40 grams for small batches and about 75 grams for when I have a lot of stuff to epoxy.

Thank you. I'll give that a try.

Esser, I use the same approach to mixing but use one cup. Add one part, tare the scale, then add the second. I like your approach of cutting a bunch of cups in half, quite convenient.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Stupid question for all the true beginners out there, like myself: What's this for?